Ebbro Lotus 33?

Ask away....

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Ebbro Lotus 33?

Post by gp-models »

A bit shocking to see such heavy mistakes in construction of a kit, especially in times of CAD based designs!
Take a stand!

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Yes, very strange for Ebbro. Had no such issues with their Lotus 88 and Lotus 91 kits.

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

I'd just like to provide a little additional commentary on one of the faults identified by Bernhard in his otherwise excellent and informative post.
Part D1 is not used if you are modelling one of the races where the 32 valve version of the Coventry Climax FWMV was used, but should be added if you are making the car to represent one of the races where the more common 16 valve version was raced. As far as I can ascertain there were only ever 2 32 valve engines made, one of which was for Clark's exclusive use at Lotus and the other of which was provided to the Brabham team.
I believe that the first time a 32 valve engine was used was in Clark's race winning car at Spa in 1965 and it was then next used at the British GP where it used up all its oil and barely made it to the finish! :shock: Looking at pictures of the Dutch GP it looks as if Clark used both engines over the weekend, but raced the 16 valve version. For Clark's German GP win it very much looks to me that he used the 32 valve version in the race.

Hope this is of use to someone!

ES

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Emersonsquirrel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:06 am I'd just like to provide a little additional commentary on one of the faults identified by Bernhard in his otherwise excellent and informative post.
Part D1 is not used if you are modelling one of the races where the 32 valve version of the Coventry Climax FWMV was used, but should be added if you are making the car to represent one of the races where the more common 16 valve version was raced. As far as I can ascertain there were only ever 2 32 valve engines made, one of which was for Clark's exclusive use at Lotus and the other of which was provided to the Brabham team.
I believe that the first time a 32 valve engine was used was in Clark's race winning car at Spa in 1965 and it was then next used at the British GP where it used up all its oil and barely made it to the finish! :shock: Looking at pictures of the Dutch GP it looks as if Clark used both engines over the weekend, but raced the 16 valve version. For Clark's German GP win it very much looks to me that he used the 32 valve version in the race.

Hope this is of use to someone!

ES
Always great to read what kind of knowledge is available here in the background. Thanks for sharing here! :D
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Is there any visible difference between the engines when mounted in the car?

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I have two of these kits and was very happy they were released. I will certainly make a record of some of these building comments to help me navigate my build. With Smirkoff’s tub interior, I feel I’ve got one of the most obvious problems solved in replicating one of the later 33’s.
When I first saw the hobby show photos of this kit and heard that it was based on the Tamiya Lotus 25, I made an assumption that the tires came from the Tamiya Honda RA272 kit. I was quite surprised when I opened the box and found the tires are not the Tamiya Goodyears. I’d be shocked if these tires were created for the kit. They’re too small IMO. I’ll be using the 1964 Dunlop tires that Indycals developed for the Lotus 25B. Their size was based on the Goodyears from the RA272.

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Is the late version resin tub wider at the rear or is it based on the Tamiya tub using the same measurements?

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

Orso wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:37 pm Is there any visible difference between the engines when mounted in the car?
The visible differences between the two engines are the radiator cap filling loop being higher on the 16 valve (part D1) and the larger bore megaphone exhaust on the 32 valve car. The 32 valve engine also has the ribbed cam covers which are in the kit, whereas the 16 valve uses the unribbed ones. The good news is that Ebbro have also included the unribbed ones and the high level exhaust pipes in the kit as well, so that pretty much every version of the 33 can be made.
PJE wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:22 pm I have two of these kits and was very happy they were released. I will certainly make a record of some of these building comments to help me navigate my build. With Smirkoff’s tub interior, I feel I’ve got one of the most obvious problems solved in replicating one of the later 33’s.
When I first saw the hobby show photos of this kit and heard that it was based on the Tamiya Lotus 25, I made an assumption that the tires came from the Tamiya Honda RA272 kit. I was quite surprised when I opened the box and found the tires are not the Tamiya Goodyears. I’d be shocked if these tires were created for the kit. They’re too small IMO. I’ll be using the 1964 Dunlop tires that Indycals developed for the Lotus 25B. Their size was based on the Goodyears from the RA272.

Paul Erlendson
I agree with Paul's assessment of the tyres! :P Ebbro kits seem to have a slightly quirky approach to the tyres on these older cars. I'm amazed at the difference in size between those provided for the Ebbro 72C and those that MFH provide for the same car. Another bugbear is that those supplied for the Ebbro 49C are the same as those provided for the 49B despite the move to a different tyre design in 1970, which was the first year the 49C was used. :?

ES

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

So the cap filling loop on the 32 valve engine was there too but hidden under the cowl?
This detail was good to learn as it is visible on most pictures of the 16 valve cars.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Emersonsquirrel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:06 am I'd just like to provide a little additional commentary on one of the faults identified by Bernhard in his otherwise excellent and informative post.
Part D1 is not used if you are modelling one of the races where the 32 valve version of the Coventry Climax FWMV was used, but should be added if you are making the car to represent one of the races where the more common 16 valve version was raced.
ES
I finally got my hand on the kit and started on it.
About that part D1. It seems to be correct that it shouldn't be use on a 32 valve car but I don't think that it should be used on the 16 valve car either.
I have been looking at pictures and now with the kit in hand I realise that the D1 part is placed in the front of the engine connected to what I believe is the water pump.
I cant see it in any pictures of the 33. Instead there is something mounted at the rear of the engine. The lid for the water is clearly visible on pictures.