Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Realistic and easy to apply metallic paints

Post by Joaquin »

Hi all,

Now there a lot of manufacturers making metallic paints. Looking for a realistic paints and easy to apply. Which are your preferred?

NachoZ
F2
F2
Your Name: John
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Lotus, McLaren, Red Bull
United States of America

Re: Realistic and easy to apply metallic paints

Post by NachoZ »

Joaquin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:14 pm Hi all,

Now there a lot of manufacturers making metallic paints. Looking for a realistic paints and easy to apply. Which are your preferred?
When you say metallic paint I’m going to assume you are asking about metalizers. If that is the case I use a combination of Alclad and AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Colors. They are pre-thinned and in my opinion they are easy to shoot.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: Realistic and easy to apply metallic paints

Post by Flemming »

That depends.

A realistic metallic finish or a painted metallic finish? Think natural aluminium versus a "mercedes" silver painted car. Very different.

AK Interactive has some great and (somewhat) durable metallic colours. Alclad has a wider range, but the very reflective ones are not very 'handable' ( Like Chrome and Highly Polished alumnium)

For a nice metallic easy to apply and durable metallic paint I use Finishers paints like 'Fine Silver' and sometimes 'Chrome' (which is not reflective, but closer than 'fine silver') For gold nothing beets Finisher in my view. No grain whatsoever.

For painted metallic finishes I tend to use Zero paints, although difficult to obtain after that damned Brexit. These are very good, but require clear coat. Recently Zero has produced some nice alumnium finishes. Also good - if you can get them.

Also for painted metallicfinishes, Tamiya TS range always come in handy.

There are a lot of options these days!

BR

Flemming