sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Decals for 908/3 #20 Targa Florio 1970

Post by sky1911 »

Hello guys and gals,

I'm currently looking for decals to recreate the 1970 Targa Florio #20 Porsche 908/3 of Vic Elford / Hans Hermann in 1/12 scale. Why? Well the obvious choice for that race would be one of the Gulf schemed cars like the winning #12 car but idk what it is, however, the Gulf scheme doesn't get me here as much as it probably should. So I'm looking at something else and the #20 fits the bill perfectly even if it is a DNF entrant. Now I thought MFH did this kit and model in 1/24 scale since it is not one of the decal options for the 1/12 kits, hence I had hoped of obtaining a decal sheet from that kit. As it turns out, my recollection was off - I can only find a 1/43 version of that car. So taking that 1/43 decal sheet and scaling it up to 1/12 is probably not going to result in anything halfway near accurate. So basically I'm looking for a 1/24 - or even better - 1/12 aftermarket set of decals. 1/24 would probably be ok as I'd scan it, resize it and use my scanncut to print stencils based on that.
I have found that there is a set of decals from BVH (Berengar von Haussten or something like that) for a 1/24 car, but I have never heard of the brand of models (sound like local garage type affairs) these decals are made for...

Has anyone ever used these decals or knows of another brand or source for these? Please let me know

Cheers
Cheers,
Roman

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Decals for 908/3 #20 Targa Florio 1970

Post by jaykay »

I've got the 1/43 Salzburg kit and can scan the decals if you want, but they are "unique" in that you get white stripes that you have to put on a red painted surface. I still have my doubts about that system.
The BvH decals should be your best option. They do their decals for the scale racers. I have one set from them for a 917PA but haven't used it yet. Printing quality is great.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

No MFH did this car in 1/24th. It was released as a limited run (like less than 50 kits or something). I had already bought two of the #12 kits with the idea to do the decals for the #20 myself but in the end MFH did release it so I got ahold of the decals. It might take some time sorting through the piles of stuff in my attic but I can look for them if you like. You could also try and send Kyoko an email to see on the off chance if they still have some decals around. Let me know if you want me to look but be prepared to wait a bit. I also have the Little Car Garage 1/24th kit for the #20 car and will look to find the decals from that as well if you like. let me know.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

jaykay wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:34 am I've got the 1/43 Salzburg kit and can scan the decals if you want, but they are "unique" in that you get white stripes that you have to put on a red painted surface. I still have my doubts about that system.
The BvH decals should be your best option. They do their decals for the scale racers. I have one set from them for a 917PA but haven't used it yet. Printing quality is great.
Joachim, cheers for the offer. My thinking is rather paint the car white, mask the red areas, paint them, remove mask, swear, do finishing touches. Painting white over red seems like a stupid idea. Like how many layers of white do you think it takes until there's no bleeding through. Should be a visible step in paint afterwards.. :S
Icon_Modeler wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:59 pm No MFH did this car in 1/24th. It was released as a limited run (like less than 50 kits or something). I had already bought two of the #12 kits with the idea to do the decals for the #20 myself but in the end MFH did release it so I got ahold of the decals. It might take some time sorting through the piles of stuff in my attic but I can look for them if you like. You could also try and send Kyoko an email to see on the off chance if they still have some decals around. Let me know if you want me to look but be prepared to wait a bit. I also have the Little Car Garage 1/24th kit for the #20 car and will look to find the decals from that as well if you like. let me know.
HA! Thanks Derek for restoring faith in my sanity. I was certain I had seen that kit as 1/24 but could not find it anywhere anymore. Even on the MFH site, the numbering just continues, I tried the K-numbers before and after. Unless it was way out of turn with the number. I will send an email to Kyoko to see if she can hook me up with something. No need to go rummaging through the attic (for now ;)), but I really appreciate the offer! The next best thing would be having the BvH set on hand, which could be here in a few days time. Hm.
Cheers,
Roman

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Pics of the car will help :)

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

JamesB wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 am Pics of the car will help :)

And a few more at targapedia
Cheers,
Roman

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

scan0009.jpg

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany