capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Re: Quality of Desk Top 3D printers

Post by capri-schorsch »

Derek how big (length) are those parts which did not fit? Only with long parts or do you got the same problems with smaller parts?

Yesterday I started to check the fitment of the wheels from the K3.
The rims are nearly the same measurement like they should have from the file. But these parts are only something like 40mm in the diameter.

The holes for the mounting pins of the K3 are 0.3mm bigger and they fit together great.
But there are 4 holes on the max size of my printer. I mean in every corner is a hole so I can use the max dimensions to put the greenhouse on the chassis.
For smaller parts I use less bigger holes.
And the body is made of 3 parts and they fit together quiet good.

Maybe you want to share a part with me and I print it on one of my printers to compare with yours?

Printing flat is not that easy that it sounds first. Never have done this so far because it was not necessary for my parts. When I got a part with a flat underside I still use my standard angle for printing. But to get the base smoother I use lots of the smallest supports chitubox got.

Resin printing is easy until you become the first mistakes. You learn with every mistake until you find a solution that works. Every new part is different and I learn with every print until it works.
But thats the same like the filament printers before.
I needed a whole 1kg role of filament to receive a clean base before I could start printing. That was a mess and I was just a step ahead to kick that printer off the balcony. Resin printing is much more easier against that.

Don't give up Derek!
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Just getting around to reading this. The simple(ish) solution is Tolerance Compensation in your slicer: https://www.chitubox.com/en/article/sup ... n-chitubox

Basically, one of the biggest prices you pay with "simple" and "cheap" consumer-grade printers is that they have poor geometric accuracy, which you have to tune out manually. Each layer tends to over-cure slightly around the edges due to light bleed and resin expansion, which results in parts being a tiny bit too big, and holes being a little bit too small, as you've found out.

Tolerance compensation will turn off a certain number of pixels around the perimeter of each layer to accommodate this expansion - if your hole is the equivalent of 4 pixels too small, you can turn off a ring of 2 pixels around the edge, to get more accurate sizing.

It will take a bit of experimentation to dial things in, and it still won't be absolutely perfect, but it should get you most of the way there.
Je ne regrette rien.

lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

While we are discussing this topic, just thought id share as well. I recently bought Creality LD-002h resin printer.
I did experience the issue of tolerance as you guys mentioned here. Even if i design parts with a gap of 0.5mm, i still find that parts are not fitting. I made a 1/20 f1 brake disc assembly out of 4 pieces of 3d printed part, was a nightmare to put together.
Thatns for sharing the tips as well, i will try it out.