CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Best Eagle Weslake Blue Color

Post by CelicaGT »

Hi guys,

So I'm trying to find the best color for the 1967 Eagle Weslake. I know Zero Paints is well respected and makes an "Eagle T1G" paint color, but to my eyes the metal flakes in that paint are too big for 1/20 scale. I've also seen Gravity Colors of Spain's "Eagle Weslake Blue" and the flakes seem smaller but maybe still too prominent for my taste?

Here's some photos of the real car. I don't see any metal flakes visible from far away. It's definitely a deep blue though.

Up close maybe it has small metal flakes?

Or maybe not? Or the metal flakes are very small? Either way, in 1/20 I think they'd be hard to see.

Also, did they really have metallic paints in 1967? :? :?:

Anyways, I'm looking for a deep blue that is close to the Eagle blue but without any metal flakes since I think it would look more period correct without them on a 1960s F1 car (personal choice, and zero disrespect to other modellers who've built the Eagle using the ZP or GC paint, I think they look amazing, just not what I'd like).

I've looked through all the Tamiya TS paints (TS are the only rattle cans I'll touch) and none of their many blues seem to match the Eagle's blue. Any other ideas? :?: Thanks guys!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Best Eagle Weslake Blue Color

Post by CK »

One solution is to get some Zero paint and match it without the flakes.
C K
Canada

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

The MCW Gurney blue is very good. The metal flakes are very small and their paint is very good and easy to use.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

If you match the colour, you can then add some Alclad Chrome in the Mix, which adds some tiny flakes.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

CK wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 pm One solution is to get some Zero paint and match it without the flakes.
Sorry for the dumb question (I have never used an airbrush or ZPs before :oops: ) but how do you match ZPs?
Daryl_Huhtala wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 am The MCW Gurney blue is very good. The metal flakes are very small and their paint is very good and easy to use.
Ok, I will check that out, thanks.
MarcoSaupe wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:34 am
If you match the colour, you can then add some Alclad Chrome in the Mix, which adds some tiny flakes.
Thanks.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Canada

Post by CK »

It does not matter if the paint is for airbrush or not. You still can hand brush it on a white cardboard or plastic sheet. The result may not be smooth and may have brush marks. For color comparison, it is fine. I believe a clear coat has to be added on top of Zero paints. The clear coat will make the color look darker.
C K
Canada

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Tamiya TS55.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Ok guys, lots of good suggestions here. I'll give some of these a try and get back to you on what works the best. :)
CK wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:41 am It does not matter if the paint is for airbrush or not. You still can hand brush it on a white cardboard or plastic sheet. The result may not be smooth and may have brush marks. For color comparison, it is fine. I believe a clear coat has to be added on top of Zero paints. The clear coat will make the color look darker.
Ok, so just basically get the paint, apply it somehow and then take it to a paint store and have them match it (minus the metal flakes)?

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Canada

Post by CK »

Yes!

You can also try to match it yourself by mixing different colors. When doing color matching, make sure you do it under sunlight. Otherwise, it may look correct under one type of lights and looks completely off in another type of light. Also, make sure the that wait till the paint dries. Dried paint is a little bit darker than wet paint.
C K
Canada

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

CK wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 am Yes!

You can also try to match it yourself by mixing different colors. When doing color matching, make sure you do it under sunlight. Otherwise, it may look correct under one type of lights and looks completely off in another type of light. Also, make sure the that wait till the paint dries. Dried paint is a little bit darker than wet paint.
Ok, great tips, thanks!