1/12 Lotus 49 - What solutions have people used for the over-sized DFV?

Ask away....

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

1/12 Lotus 49 - What solutions have people used for the over-sized DFV?

Post by Tyrone »

Hey,

As many of you may know the DFV in the Tamiya 1/12 Lotus kit is a bit... chunky.

I've googled a bit, but my google-fu isn't up to scratch. Is there a post or anything where anybody has gone into detail about modifying the kit to include a more reasonably scaled kit.

I'm tempted to case resin copies of a DFV from a McLaren kit, however would that be too 'new' as the 1974 version could look fairly different than the period correct 49.

Just interested to see how others have combated this issue in the past. Maybe 3D printing an engine could be a possibility, if so would anybody else be interested in the files if I go ahead and commit to it?

Thanks,
Tyrone

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/12 Lotus 49 - What solutions have people used for the over-sized DFV?

Post by JamesB »

When I do mine, I'll simply replace the block with other from the Tamiya breed. It's (AFAIK) mainly ancillary parts that make the difference between years so with a stock "metallic grey parts" set from whatever Tam, plus all the stiff like admission, injection, camcovers from the 49 you should be OK...
PS: other problem is, surely, the gearbox. There's a nice resin replacement from "Idonnowwho", me I'll probably try a scratch effort.

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

JamesB wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 am When I do mine, I'll simply replace the block with other from the Tamiya breed. It's (AFAIK) mainly ancillary parts that make the difference between years so with a stock "metallic grey parts" set from whatever Tam, plus all the stiff like admission, injection, camcovers from the 49 you should be OK...
PS: other problem is, surely, the gearbox. There's a nice resin replacement from "Idonnowwho", me I'll probably try a scratch effort.
Hi James,

So its just the block and camcovers that are oversized? things like exhaust, air-funnels etc are appropriate?

if so I think my best bet is to strip down this model of a DFV on a 72, and get it to print?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I'd say the overall length and the cylinder heads dimensions are OK. It's the "belly" of the engine what is oversized. Nevertheless you may check by yourself comparing this one with a "good" one. So probably camcovers are fine too. And surely exhausts, etc. the problem is that motor is like it had an "oversized crankshaft" in terms of diameter.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

JamesB wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 am PS: other problem is, surely, the gearbox. There's a nice resin replacement from "Idonnowwho", me I'll probably try a scratch effort.
Brian Fawcett in England is the resincaster that, starting in 2010, had offered the accurate ZF and Hewland gearboxes for use with a more correct size DFV from a later Tamiya kit in correcting the Tamiya Lotus 49 kit's drivetrain. His website is a bit out of date now and not completely working, but you can try using the email/phone number/address on the "Contact Us" page to inquire if his parts are still available. I seem to recall someone posting in the last year or so on this or a different forum mentioning that they had still been able to order one from Brian, so it's worth trying to contact him.

The URL for his Lotus 49 gearboxes page is: http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/racing-car

Note that he had offered an "Early" and a "Late" version of the ZF gearbox for the 49 (the side plates of the gearbox were modified after failures at the 1967 French GP), and in early 1968 Lotus switched from the ZF to a Hewland gearbox on the 49's, and Brian had offered all three of these gearboxes, so be sure to mention which race you are intending to model, so he knows which version you need.

Good luck, and remember when you find out to add an update here to let the F1M community know whether these are still available or not.

Cameron

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well I have been in contact a while ago, even on here, yup, registered here. Plus, at the time, I have ordered all 3 versions of his gearboxes and posted them either in some Lotus 49 related topic or in the "latest model purchase" thing. Last time I spoke to him, the website was supposedly going to be redone - well, I guess that hasn't happened yet.
Also from what I remember - not having looked into it as I only have the outsized 49 DFV on hand - I believe that the entire body of the 49 might have been slightly oversized to be able to cover the battery box. Hence replacing the DFV with a properly sized DFV (from the Tyrrell) might also lead to wonky results, if then the body is larger than the engine, small head syndrome and all that ;).
Other than that I think Brian is still in business as I believe there have been updates to that website regarding 1/32 WW1 & 2 planes
Cheers,
Roman

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

I successfully ordered a F2002 correction set from Brian Fawcett in January of this year. He was a little slow to respond to email due to covid restrictions and working from home, but it all worked out perfectly in the end.

Thanks to Cameron for elaborating on the gearbox options.

Cheers,
Richard

gja
F3
F3

Post by gja »

I subscribe to Kit Lotus and I'm in touch with the editor, John Thornhill. As I understand it from John (March this year), Brian is retiring from his business of casting parts for others sometime this year and once that has happened he will be able to focus on projects that interest him which will include further parts for the Lotus 49 - a new nose has been mentioned. A case of watch this space.

My solution to the engine was to buy one of Thunder Valley's white metal cast versions - before Paul moved exclusively to 1/8 scale projects.

If you haven't come across it you can find Kit Lotus at www.kitlotus.com - you have to register but otherwise it is free of charge and it brightens my day whenever I receive an email anouncing the next copy. If you are coming to it fresh you've got 15 volumes to catch up on!

Grahame

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

BTW, anyone that has built or has any interest in 1/12 F1 models (long before MFH) should take a look at Mark Oakley's models at his website (http://www.mrof1engineering.co.uk/?page_id=22). Very impressive and many of his builds are ones I would have loved to do myself, especially the McLaren M19 and Tyrrells 003 and 006! :shock:

Cameron

gja
F3
F3

Post by gja »

sorry, I forgot that the site has been updated - its now www.kitlous.org

Grahame