Problem understanding tire and rim sizes

Ask away....

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Problem understanding tire and rim sizes

Post by JamesB »

daniel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 am also interesting that they mix cm and inches !?
Now you mention, yes they do!!! :lol: I went mad when young trying to make model dimensions match real numbers...

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Interesting discussion. I learned something about race tires. Is this mostly for EU tires? US race tires tend to be standard format from what I have seen.

Recently got the Fujimi street McLaren F1. I noticed in a build on YT and pictures of the 1:1 that they got the tires wrong.

Once I had the kit in my hands, after 2 months in postal purgatory, I got out my calipers. I measured the rims, tires, and set about researching exactly what measurements were in both 1:1 and 1:24.

Fujimi, in one sense, had their calculations right but they were also wrong. The sidewall showing above the rim in the kit the whole tire sidewall height. Except, in 1:1 part of the tire sidewall (the bead) is covered by the rims (the kit rims were sized correctly to the 1:1). With the kit showing all of the sidewall height beyond the rim meant the overall diameter missed by a noticeable margin. The end result is tires too big in scale for the car to look correct. Now I am trying to learn the easiest way to model the correct treaded tire in 3D CAD.

Jordan

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I find tire size and shape is the most common error in car models. Model manufactures a lot of times just pick a set of tires from their inventory that is close in size. Than the new rims are just adjusted to fit the tires that they picked.

I find that Fujimi has a lot of dimension issues on their kits. Porsche 917K is a typical example. The body is 4mm too wide.

Recently, all tires from Tamiya and Revell in new model kits are lacking logos and markings, probably because of licensing.

When I get my 3D printer, the first thing to do is correct tires and rims.
C K
Canada

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Oh dear the fit tolerance of the front wheels to the bodywork in nearly zero :( Now I can understand kit makers to be a little relaxed when it comes to exact sizes :)
Have to remodel the wheels arches to make rooms for the wheels...Next time it will be first exact wheels and then model around it.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details