Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Ebbro Lotus 33. Some pre-planning

Post by Orso »

When I was looking at this picture of the coming Lotus 33 and learned that the parts inside the yellow rectangle are the parts from Tamiya's Lotus 25 a faint memory popped up.
I had a feeling that one of the things that differed between the two cars were the cockpit. I made a search and found this page: https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2128 ... 25-and-33/
Here I read: "2) the inner chassis sides were one straight taper from just in front of engine to the front bulkhead. This was easier to build and added fuel space versus the kinked ones on a 25."
This seemed to confirm my memory but then I read on and found this: "This used to be the accepted thinking until the confusion over which 25 chassis was which was resolved in around 2013. It’s now clear that the first two 33 chassis, R8 and R9, were built with the kinked inner monocoque like the 25."
Does this mean that the kit can be built as chassis R8 and R9? It would be interesting to see the difference between the Lotus 25 and the later Lotus 33 chassis.
Last edited by Orso on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Re: Ebbro Lotus 33. Some pre-planning

Post by smirkoff »

Hi Björn, I did this research a long time ago trying to convert the Tamiya 25 to the 33. The definitive 33's monocoque have a continuous line from the back of the seat to the pedals, instead of the "kinked" line of the 25. Two bulges to accommodate the driver's hips were added at the sides, much like in the later 49. I've scanned the Tamiya chassis and made the modifications. The result is available at my Shapeways shop:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZVK9N ... 8&li=shops

Note that some modifications have to be made to the dashboard, which no longer have the side columns going to the floor of the tub, being instead fixed directly to the tub's top.

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Re: Ebbro Lotus 33. Some pre-planning

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

smirkoff wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:25 am Hi Björn, I did this research a long time ago trying to convert the Tamiya 25 to the 33. The definitive 33's monocoque have a continuous line from the back of the seat to the pedals, instead of the "kinked" line of the 25. Two bulges to accommodate the driver's hips were added at the sides, much like in the later 49. I've scanned the Tamiya chassis and made the modifications. The result is available at my Shapeways shop:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZVK9N ... 8&li=shops

Note that some modifications have to be made to the dashboard, which no longer have the side columns going to the floor of the tub, being instead fixed directly to the tub's top.
Good stuff smirkoff! I'm gathering some good info here and now I have the 33 tub coming.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS