Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Loeki
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell, Ronnie Peterson
Netherlands

White primer Zero paints

Post by Loeki »

Hi dear modelers,

I got a question about the primers from Zero paints. I already used the grey primer with great success, it really gives a smooth finish and needs very little sanding.

Now I'm bulding the Brabham BT52 which got a white/blue layout, so I first want to start with a white primerbase. I did some tests and found out the result differs very much from the grey primer. It's very grainy, lots of "dirt" and needs a lot of sanding. Not the way I like it.

But I'm not giving up yet! To my opinion there must be a way to get it right! So I really like to know what is the best way to apply the white primer (for the grey primer I did one light layer, 5 minutes waiting, followed by a layer more thick, great result).

Thanks already for your ideas and help!

Loek
Attachments
ZP.png

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Re: White primer Zero paints

Post by Hugeprong »

How interesting to see this subject today.

Yesterday evening, I had to conduct a full 90 minute cleaning session with my airbrushes having used this product. It wasnt very old but the pigment had separated from the thinner to such a degree that it was almost completely solid in the bottom of the container.

I loosened some of it (eventually) and then sprayed through my first airbrush which clogged it completely after only a minute or two. I then thinned the mixture and used my back up airbrush - and that spat horribly before also clogging up a few minutes later. Net result - my Porsche GT3RS LM Conversion is finally (sort of) primed - but at such a cost..

Obviously my fault to not thin the product enough but to be fair I am quite experienced and I have only had this sort of major clogging with pre-thinned Zero thinners. I will not use this stuff again. I use Zero paints regularly and I like their accuracy - but they do "separate" really quickly and despite the seals on the bottles, they also seem to evaporate a lot!

Halfords White Primer rattle can is cheaper and better - and longer lasting....