PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Magnifier / light goggles or fixed desk lamp / magnifier

Post by PeteJ »

Roman, I wouldn't be as concerned about lumens as diffusion of the light. What I like is the length. It gives very even coverage without any harsh shadows. That is an issue I was having when boring the inside of wheel rims. I really had difficulty seeing my work because of the dark shadows created by less diffused light. It is bright enough that I don't use the brightest setting and I have old, tired eyes.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I may be an outlier, but when my super-close up vision started to fail me, I purchased some reading glasses in +1.5 and +2.5 powers.
I went with Izipizi brand, a step up from cheap drug store reading glasses, comfortable and not too expensive.
https://global.izipizi.com/en/81-reading-glasses

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

keithwwalker wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:35 pm I may be an outlier, but when my super-close up vision started to fail me, I purchased some reading glasses in +1.5 and +2.5 powers.
I went with Izipizi brand, a step up from cheap drug store reading glasses, comfortable and not too expensive.
https://global.izipizi.com/en/81-reading-glasses
You are not an outlier, you just haven't got to that point yet. Cheap reading glasses worked just fine for a while but that was 15 years ago! :shock:

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Hah! Well I'm not that old, but reading glasses have been suggested to me the last time (spring last year) I got new glasses. I have this thing where I usually had one eye that was near perfect while the other slowly got worse (-1, -1.5, ...). Eventually the better eye got dragged down by trying to compensate for the worsening eye, so I was at -0,5 and -2.5. Then I thought about getting lasik a couple of years ago, had my eyes checked and something "magical" happened. The "bad" eye sort of stabilized at its current state, whereas the better one did a 180 and is now +1.0. So I know have one near sighted and one far sighted eye - bloody annoying, because there is a range (up close) where neither one works really well. Shaving got interesting that way. And as of now lasik is not an option, because I'm apparently in the age bracket where this turnaround might happen, so no point in fixing it now if it is just going to go bad in another few years again.

To the point, I don't think reading glasses would cut it for me due to the left eye, right eye issue. Unless you can configure them for different corrective strengths. But then again, doesn't this bring up the problem of, you take them off and are completely out of focus for a while, no matter if you put your normal glasses back on or not? I have been a draftsman in my youth and when working on big plans for hours on end, looking up afterwards meant that you were captured in a world of blur for a bit until your eyes readjusted to the new required viewing distance ;)
Cheers,
Roman

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

sky1911 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 am Hah! Well I'm not that old, but reading glasses have been suggested to me the last time (spring last year) I got new glasses. I have this thing where I usually had one eye that was near perfect while the other slowly got worse (-1, -1.5, ...). Eventually the better eye got dragged down by trying to compensate for the worsening eye, so I was at -0,5 and -2.5. Then I thought about getting lasik a couple of years ago, had my eyes checked and something "magical" happened. The "bad" eye sort of stabilized at its current state, whereas the better one did a 180 and is now +1.0. So I know have one near sighted and one far sighted eye - bloody annoying, because there is a range (up close) where neither one works really well. Shaving got interesting that way. And as of now lasik is not an option, because I'm apparently in the age bracket where this turnaround might happen, so no point in fixing it now if it is just going to go bad in another few years again.

To the point, I don't think reading glasses would cut it for me due to the left eye, right eye issue. Unless you can configure them for different corrective strengths. But then again, doesn't this bring up the problem of, you take them off and are completely out of focus for a while, no matter if you put your normal glasses back on or not? I have been a draftsman in my youth and when working on big plans for hours on end, looking up afterwards meant that you were captured in a world of blur for a bit until your eyes readjusted to the new required viewing distance ;)
This is exactly why I recommended Optivisor. You can use your prescription lenses under the visor. Works great and is recommended.

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Thanks to all the great comments in this thread, I have ordered myself an Optivisor DA5, Optiloupe LP1, and Quasar LED lighting system.

Again, thanks for your experienced comments and recommendations!

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

So, my DA-5 arrived today, unboxed (well, plastic bag in an all-white flimsy cardboard box), looked at it and thought that that headstrap sure looked to be tiny". So I cranked that wheel at the back as far as it would go thinking that it is still not going to fit, put it on my head anyway, and - as expected ;) - it was more like wearing a crown. So then as there was nothing else to it, I moved it down... and heard a plasticcy sound like zip ties ratching on or something breaking ("Uh oh" - you know that "that sounded expensive" sound? That!) - but fit was good (then). Anyway, long story short - apparently the wheel would only go so far, but after making it fit my melon, it is now (again) adjustable. So I can confirm that it *will* fit a size 64 head. First look through it ended in "holy **** everything is blurry" but that was to be expected with the magnification. I have since found it's sweet spot (range wise) and have to say, this is going to help a lot.

Cheers to all for the recommendation!
Cheers,
Roman