Ask away....

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Re: That Paper With Decals

Post by Grypham »

This is what I have successfully used for years, though not always this brand: https://www.amazon.ca/Pacon-PAC2371-Art ... 002A2K07Y/
You can find something similar at any craft store with artists supplies. They come in various sizes, and are typically around $10 to $15 per pad here in Canada.
The thing I look for is "Archival" and "Acid Free". Note that some will state that they are Archival grade, but when you check into it, they may not be Acid Free. It will usually say so on the cover.

I always remove my decals from whatever packaging they arrived in, and then sandwich them between two of these sheets, then place them in "Archival" clear "Sheet Protectors", that I usually purchase at Costco or any office supply store , like Staples where I am.

These sheet protectors are designed to go into any sort of report cover or 3-ring binder. I use the latter, and have two mostly full binders for my decal collection, sorted alphabetically. I write the name of the decal on the tracing paper in an area that won't be in contact with the decals.

It may be overkill, but I have yet to have any issues with decals stored this way. I even put things like foil and fabric/seat belts into these pages, as they stay nice and flat.

I hope that helps! :D

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

I don’t know if wax will work. I would not risk.....

The SMS ones I got has 4-5 decal paper each.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Second Grypham’s informative comment. Again, key word is acid free, not wax, period.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I would posit that whether it is wax or acid free - or both, that the purpose of the protective sheet is in addition to protecting the decals, it is also to allow a low tack surface so as to not bond to the uncoated decal glue on the rest of the sheet, should the humidity be high.