How much is too much?

Ask away....

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: How much is too much?

Post by eyckles »

This has been bothering me for a long time. On some facebook pages prices are getting ridiculous. Especially with MotoGP bikes. When you ask the seller why such a high price, you always get the same answer. It’s rare or very rare. What i find the most annoying is that those rare and very rare kits are up for sale by the numbers. Everyday somebody will place one for sale at a ridiculous high price. Good for them if the buyer wants to pay that and wants to get ripped off. On some of these pages when rarely somebody asks normal prices. The admins encourage them to up the price, because they don’t know what the current value is. To me current price it’s whats on the box or what the seller paid for. I have had many discssions about this, because it annoys the crap out of me. It’s still a hobby last time i checked. Collecting is a part of that too. Sitting on 600+ kits makes a lot not so rare anymore. The only kit i’m looking for is a A-team van. They pop up on ebay sometimes, but at crazy prices for such a bad kit. Bad or not. I still want it😁
Best regards,
Lesley

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

The issue with buying models is that the bargain must be struck with two people with opposing views of the deal. The seller wants the maximum amount for the kit and the buyer wants it at the lowest possible price. This doesn't make either party, greedy, unreasonable or stupid.

Too much for a model, happens for the buyer when the two can't find a middle ground that is agreeable. That is how it works. I grow weary of those who complain that someone wants too much for a kit. The seller has made their decision and you can take it, leave it or try to negotiate. Disparaging someone over price they have chosen makes no sense and complaining about the price serves no purpose.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

keithwwalker wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 am Not so much a question of cost, but a qualitative one as well.
For example, say someone came out with a bang-on highly detailed kit of your favorite F1 model in 1/8 scale - not a low detail DeAgostini kit but something that even beats the die cast market.
Nowadays, I think future F1 injection molded releases will be limited. Resin, who knows. 3d prints are just taking off, but seem to be limited to 1/43 - 1/20 is a stretch.
Not all of the DeAgustini kits are low detail. The MP4/4 is an excellent kit as is the 1/4 Rossi bike. Some of their newer releases do seem cheap. I am half way through the subscription process with Agora and their 427 Cobra. I will post pics of the build soon.

As for 3D parts. I am printing a Jordan 191 in 1/8. So far, I have the front wing and nose done and the tub design is starting soon. Took time off the project for Covid reasons. But the parts have been easy and pretty cheap. I do expect it to get expensive however with the big parts. If it all works out in the end, I will do another car from 1991. I’m using Rossi Ferrari 643 as a donor for tires,wheels, suspension, engine. Indycals printed beautiful decals for it awhile back.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

eyckles wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am This has been bothering me for a long time. On some facebook pages prices are getting ridiculous. Especially with MotoGP bikes. When you ask the seller why such a high price, you always get the same answer. It’s rare or very rare. What i find the most annoying is that those rare and very rare kits are up for sale by the numbers. Everyday somebody will place one for sale at a ridiculous high price. Good for them if the buyer wants to pay that and wants to get ripped off. On some of these pages when rarely somebody asks normal prices. The admins encourage them to up the price, because they don’t know what the current value is. To me current price it’s whats on the box or what the seller paid for. I have had many discssions about this, because it annoys the crap out of me. It’s still a hobby last time i checked. Collecting is a part of that too. Sitting on 600+ kits makes a lot not so rare anymore. The only kit i’m looking for is a A-team van. They pop up on ebay sometimes, but at crazy prices for such a bad kit. Bad or not. I still want it😁
I'm hoping that when things open up prices will come down as people realize they aren't going to get the time to build what they thought. The Revell F2002 is an example of a kit that went way up in price but there is seemingly very little demand for it. You see some people on ebay asking $1k for it and then a sealed copy isn't selling quickly at $200.

This is also why I try to keep prices here on sale posts so people can see what its worth. I don't blame people for asking what they see on ebay for items which have sold, but if you're sitting on a post for six months and no one has bit, maybe thats a sign to ask less. I think most people here are pretty reasonable with that.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

stubeck wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 am This is also why I try to keep prices here on sale posts so people can see what its worth.
Yes, a well thanked effort, mate :wink: and it's very interesting if sellers please when change the status to SOLD, keep the prices seen. :D

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

stubeck wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 am
eyckles wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am This has been bothering me for a long time. On some facebook pages prices are getting ridiculous. Especially with MotoGP bikes. When you ask the seller why such a high price, you always get the same answer. It’s rare or very rare. What i find the most annoying is that those rare and very rare kits are up for sale by the numbers. Everyday somebody will place one for sale at a ridiculous high price. Good for them if the buyer wants to pay that and wants to get ripped off. On some of these pages when rarely somebody asks normal prices. The admins encourage them to up the price, because they don’t know what the current value is. To me current price it’s whats on the box or what the seller paid for. I have had many discssions about this, because it annoys the crap out of me. It’s still a hobby last time i checked. Collecting is a part of that too. Sitting on 600+ kits makes a lot not so rare anymore. The only kit i’m looking for is a A-team van. They pop up on ebay sometimes, but at crazy prices for such a bad kit. Bad or not. I still want it😁
I'm hoping that when things open up prices will come down as people realize they aren't going to get the time to build what they thought. The Revell F2002 is an example of a kit that went way up in price but there is seemingly very little demand for it. You see some people on ebay asking $1k for it and then a sealed copy isn't selling quickly at $200.

This is also why I try to keep prices here on sale posts so people can see what its worth. I don't blame people for asking what they see on ebay for items which have sold, but if you're sitting on a post for six months and no one has bit, maybe thats a sign to ask less. I think most people here are pretty reasonable with that.
Especially the Tamiya bikes listed are mostly overrated in prices, i would never ever pay even 100 bucks for such kit, but sellers often think they have the last unit on the planet and ask a non serious price for it. I simply do not agree and don`t buy it.
Take a stand!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Good news is they've re-released some of them this year which may help with that a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see an expanded catalog for 22 if Tamiya is seeing big resale value on the secondary market and their molds are still good, I see no reason they wouldn't want to get in on the game too!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

stubeck wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 am Good news is they've re-released some of them this year which may help with that a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see an expanded catalog for 22 if Tamiya is seeing big resale value on the secondary market and their molds are still good, I see no reason they wouldn't want to get in on the game too!
Tamiya has always been kind of funny about aftermarket prices and reissuing kits. They really don't seem to use that as an reason to reissue a kit. For instance, many of their 1:12 scale race cars have never been re-release and some are going for close to $1,000. I have the catalogs going back to 1977(yes I was a collector)and they look to have a regular cycle of reissues of popular kits. If they didn't sell well when issued, then they really don't seem to have much interest in re issuing them. Also, often times it is a matter of licensing agreements. Years ago, most manufactures treated licensing models as a form of advertising and would do it quite cheaply. Some time in the 90's they started thinking of licensing as a source or revenue and the cost of a licensing agreement went through the roof.

In many cases bikes and WRC cars seem to be different. They reissue many of them but with different liveries but the same basic plastic. What often turns out to be rare are the decals and the instruction. In some cases they planned to do this from the start. You can tell this because the instruction have a separate sheet that covers the decal placement. A quick Tamiya website search shows 13 different versions of the Yamaha YZF-R1N. All the same kit with different decals.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Petej, I agree there really isn't any logic to Tamiya Re-release of the kits. For the life me I can not understand why they get a hard on over the 6-wheel Tyrrell and release it in many variations.
I wish they would re-engineer some of the earlier kits with upgrades. At the very least better Goodyear Tires!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I can explain Tamiya's fascination with the P34. They own one of the original cars and it sits in the lobby of HQ in Japan.
P34 Tamiya Lobby.jpg