How much is too much?

Ask away....

Topic author
DPalmer43
F2
F2
Your Name: Doug
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell (70s)
United States of America

How much is too much?

Post by DPalmer43 »

Kits have been getting more and more expensive. I'm old so I remember a Tamiya 1/20 kit costing less than a 20 (with enough spare to buy glue and some paint). Today, 80 bucks (USD) for some kits. Yeah, the subjects are great and the diversity is better than it's ever been....but do you have a limit that you'd spend on a kit? When walking through the hobby shop (or browsing online), do you have a dollar figure in mind that you won't allow yourself to go over?

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: How much is too much?

Post by Icon_Modeler »

No, Absolutely not. It is my hobby, my passion, my one release from reality and the stress of day to day work and the other BS associated with "Life". Why would you want to or need to restrict yourself?? If I walk buy something in the hobby shop that catches my eye I either buy it if I can afford it or I have them hold it for me until I can afford it simple as that. I don't spend these days the amount that I did a few years ago. Simply because I'm not making as much money as I did. But, I still buy the odd 1/12th MFH kit when I can. I just have to be more selective about what I buy.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

It’s per model. I’ve paid $200 for a kit I really wanted and told someone here $21 was too much for a model I wanted to pay $20 for. Below $40 is typically what I’m looking for on a kit that’s pre 2000 as well

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

The only time cost comes up is something I find interesting but am not passionate about. If I am not interested, $1 is too much. If I am passionate then cost doesn't really matter. It's that middle ground that I really can't quantify. When I was younger, if I had any interest at all or it was a new release and had the bucks in my pocket, I would spring for it. That is why I have hundreds of kits that I probably won't build. Now that I am older and have a garage full of kits, it really has to be something with a much higher than passing interest to buy.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I did.... a long time ago.....and that got broken, MANY times. But I still try to keep things to a "fair market value". I haven't bit on any of the absurd asking prices for MotoGP kits, so maybe i'm getting better (he said).

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

PeteJ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm The only time cost comes up is something I find interesting but am not passionate about. If I am not interested, $1 is too much. If I am passionate then cost doesn't really matter. It's that middle ground that I really can't quantify. When I was younger, if I had any interest at all or it was a new release and had the bucks in my pocket, I would spring for it. That is why I have hundreds of kits that I probably won't build. Now that I am older and have a garage full of kits, it really has to be something with a much higher than passing interest to buy.
Essentially this. I try to limit myself to what I really am passionate about. Sadly, that field seems to be growing (from cars only to cars and planes to cars and planes AND ships). So again, I'm trying to put the brakes on. However, the odd bargain I see can have me "ah, whatever, geddit anyway".

That aside, I think we can agree that almost everything got or gets more expensive when seen over time. At the same time wages also go up. Of course neither is a one size fits all statement, because in some cases one hasn't been going up at the same rate as the other, but in general, I'd say the direction is that way. Also worth noting is that back in our youth 20 bucks you had in your pocket were yours and yours alone to spend on whatever you wanted. Nothing to deduct for anything like food, housing or other running costs like women, kids or in short family, insurances - what have you. So it would seem that those 20 bucks back then got you more than they do today. That aside, if I could be back in the 70s with the money I have now, I'd probably by a 250 GTO or 2 for 20k each. Sadly I don't think anyone would take that kind of money from a toddler though ;)
Cheers,
Roman

high510
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by high510 »

I sold the Tamiya 1/32 F-16 Thunderbird kit for $450. I wasn't going to put glue to plastic for a kit that valuable. I paid $70 retail for it in 2014. I sincerely hope the purchaser enjoys. Bought 5 Tamiya 1/20 kits for $15 a piece and 5 Tamiya 1/12 kits for $25 each last fall from an estate. This is not my only hobby, so moderation in expense is one of the parameters for enjoyment. Gave away two of the 1/12 kits to friends. Now they get to build really nice kits without breaking the bank, I will build the other 3.

Bought the 2019 Toyota TS050 for $50ish and the 2014 Honda MotoGP for $40ish from LHS. So I got to support my retail establishment and spend reasonable dollars. Who knew that the deals were going to be retail at the LHS!

Look for deals and choose projects more sparingly. Or enjoy the time with a kit. In the end, a $450 project you enjoy building for 100 hours is only $4.50 an hour.

And always remember.... this is fun, I tell you, FUN!!!

:D :D

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

I think it's really a matter of love for a specific model. There are kits that you just want to build and invest less time and effort - just an OOB.
And then there are models that you spend a lot of time with and maybe get lost / want to get lost in details.
A model that you have been waiting for a long time or that you associate with something.
And sometimes money doesn't play a role here or you invest more than usual. That is what the hobby is all about.

Basically, I always try to get the models cheaply. But you just have to know the market price and it has just changed.

And you have to know whether you want it or not.
And whether you need it now or whether there may be a good offer later - and there are still enough bargains to be found from time to time.
Greetings Thomas

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I think there are a different "too muchs" when it comes to modeling.
First the price. Is a MFH 1/12 Lotus 49 too expensive compared to the Tamiya !?
I see it this way. I will have to spend a lot (!!!) of time to build both to my linking and in the end I have the Tamiya or the MFH kit sitting on my shelf and I'm sure the Tamiya won't make me happy especially when I think about the time I invested...so I will buy the MFH.

Will I pay ridiculous prices because I need that kit....no. Because I need so many kits and first buy the ones that are not that expensive. And we know every months need kits are released that we really need.

Now comes the "too much" I finally got rid of. The too many kits on my stash and the waste of money. There was a time I needed 1/12 kits so I bought MG Models and such. They were expensive but the only game in town.
And from todays view I paid too much !!! Will the same thing happen to MFH for example....I'm sure, there will be someone making better and cheaper kits. And then I paid too much again.

The last year I sold around 30-50% of my collection because there is no way I can build all kits in my live. Even now I have way too much. I have no idea how many but would guess around 300 !? plus tons and tons of decals and transkits....

Yes heard it.... I need a stash of Porsche 956 to build all different liverys...no you don't :) ...because like said above, something new or better will pop-up. We all need the Alfa 179 and MP 4/2 no matter the cost and then comes Italeri ;)

I still buy some kits but very few....maybe a handfull a year compared to dozens every month when I was addicted to buying everything and lying to myself....I need it and I will build it.
Nearly everything was rereleased over the years sooner or later and if not there was still enough to build.

My current interest is 1/12 MFH and I have a few in my stash but I only bought them because I got them really cheap !!

Too answer the original question. If you want it buy it but only if you will build it now !!...otherwise it could be a waste of money.

Like Confucious said. "Only buy if you build"

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

pstager
F2
F2
Your Name: Pat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by pstager »

As others have said, it really depends on the model.

When Tamiya announced the 1/12 Porsche 934 rerelease, I had to have it. It's one of my all-time favorite cars, racing or otherwise, and I always lamented that the kit was no longer in production. I paid around $150 from a local hobby shop that ordered it by accident, it seemed like it was meant to be! I'll likely drop another $300 on the ScaleLab parts kit and will consider it well worth it.

Now let's look at the 1/12 Lotus 7 Tamiya rereleased at roughly the same time. That's going for around $450-500, the estimated total cost of my 934 project once everything's said and done, but there's no way I'd pay that for it. It's a neat car, but I just don't have nearly the same appreciation for it like I do the 934.

I do sometimes get a little bummed out at the high prices we see today, especially because it may be discouraging to newer modelers. That said, the quality of kits being released today is incredible. I'm not sure that you're fully getting a dollar-for-dollar improvement in quality then in years past, but on average, I'd say the kit you're buying now compared to 20 years ago is substantially better.