Tamiya LaFerrari in Yellow or Red?

Ask away....

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Tamiya LaFerrari in Yellow or Red?

Post by ringleheim »

I am getting the itch to make another production car kit and thought about getting Tamiya's LaFerrari in 1/24 scale.

Of note: they offer the original "red" version with red tinted plastic but also a newer "yellow" version of the kit with yellow tinted plastic.

I'll be painting the car and not relying on the color of the plastic anyway, and I will be changing the color! Not red or yellow.

So why would it matter which version of the kit I get?

What is interesting is that the yellow version is about $15 cheaper than the red one, so I want to go that route.

Am I missing something here?!

Is there any reason for a preference of one color over the other other than cost?

wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Re: Tamiya LaFerrari in Yellow or Red?

Post by wadny »

Red plastic has a reputation for being difficult to cover without bleed-through if you want to paint over it, especially in a light color. I'd think you would be safer getting the yellow kit, and using a good primer.

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

wadny wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:43 am Red plastic has a reputation for being difficult to cover without bleed-through if you want to paint over it, especially in a light color. I'd think you would be safer getting the yellow kit, and using a good primer.
Thanks!

I sometimes wonder why Tamiya does these different color versions of the same car. How many modelers are NOT painting the plastic?

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

ringleheim wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:15 pm
wadny wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:43 am Red plastic has a reputation for being difficult to cover without bleed-through if you want to paint over it, especially in a light color. I'd think you would be safer getting the yellow kit, and using a good primer.
Thanks!

I sometimes wonder why Tamiya does these different color versions of the same car. How many modelers are NOT painting the plastic?
I second the yellow one due to bleed through.

Also right about Tamiya using different color plastics. At $50+ for a kit, this is not something you glue up and then roll around on the floor with your grandson. Frankly I would prefer that they go with white plastic and be done with it. Well, except for their "Full View" kits. I kind of like having an occasional see through car.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

+1 on that!
Coloured plastic is a nuisance as you always prime the plastic in white anyway, and its annoying if you need to make a last minute adjustment and the plastic underneath shines through, changing the pint afterwards.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

The yellow on this specific kit is just as bad as red, I had trouble priming over and not stopping bleed through

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Sennafan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:30 am The yellow on this specific kit is just as bad as red, I had trouble priming over and not stopping bleed through
Start with a coat of TS-30 silver leaf and then prime it. The heavy pigments in the silver leaf will stop the bleed through.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Pete, does that even work? I mean, isn't the primer supposed to prepare the surface, ie serve as a bonding agent between the plastic and the following layers of colour to give them something to grip onto?
Spraying silver first then primer seems counter intuitive to me in that regard. But I am happy to learn something new every day and if this works, even better :D
Cheers,
Roman

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Some first hand exp.

If you prefer dark colors, like black, deep blue, etc, use 2k grey primer, like Splash, etc.

If you prefer light colors, like lemon yellow, light green, etc. Use directly colored prime, like Finisher’s foundation yellow, blue, pink, etc. But use a less thinner mixing ratio, I recommend a paint/thinner mixing volume ratio of 1/2.

Unless you are forced to, then don’t spray too many times on the body, especially prime-type paints which are usually thicker than color paints. Laferrari is way better to accept “gap paint allowance” than Enzo. However, if you spray too many times, you will highly possible to face some embarrassing moments that body won’t align perfectly.

Finally, when you do final clear coat, do make sure to mask the door hinges, both that little top ones and lower ones. So that you can close the doors perfectly. My hat off to Tamiya for doing such a nice work to “price in” the paint “gap allowance”.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

BTW, I am doing a Laferrari with some nice tries.

1. Working door hydraulic rods. I never see one did that, so I may the first to do so! Lol, pretty amazing, seems Tamiya does leave a small gap for that just like the real thing.

2. Machine turning electric motor box on the “real” engine. I mean real gas engine, damn it, no fake electric ones!! Every time I am in my LC500 (not LC500h!) on road makes me thinking who the hell will people accept full EV.. sorry off topic..

3. Engrave the “gap” on the rear engine bay hatch and the two sides of the rear body parts. The gaps Tamiya make is too shallow. And Tamiya instruction doesn’t mention it clearly. I saw most people even sand out the shallow gaps.

4. Failed.... I tried to machine turning a working rear spoiler system interlocks the bottom tray. Sigh.... gave up when I learned the true ones..... so much harder than Enzo.

Will try to share once completed if the image uploading is better than the old website. I mean I don’t know when with USA work from home stopped in my company...... some day.....