Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

Brabham BT45 1976 plans

Post by ClassicF1 »

Gentlefolk of the F1M.com massive, I seek your wisdom.

Are there any good plans out there of the 1976 BT45? The ones that come up on a Google search don't look wonderful.
The reason I ask is that I have an old glue bomb Tamiya 1/12 BT44B and I'm wondering if it could donate parts to a semi scratchbuilt BT45? The front of the car looks very similar.
I think this will be a long term back burner project but like a magpie, collecting information is a compulsion.

Dave

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Brabham BT45 1976 plans

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Depends on what version you intend to build but there are a number of parts that can carry over. I started on the same project a number of years ago. I hope to finish it within the next year or so. The complete front suspension can be used. The nose with some small add on bits. The gearbox and everything behind the gearbox if you do a early season car like Long Beach. At some point they changed the rear wing to a single post which change a lot of other things at the same time. What will you do for the engine?? I started the project thinking that I could use the 312T engine as a basis but soon realized it was going to be better to make my own. I used a couple of 1/20th kits for reference along with some good photos. Didn't think to look for plans. Don't know that I would trust plans off of the internet to be accurate anyway. Here are some pictures. Good luck with your project.
IMG_8715.jpg
IMG_8721.jpg
Web-BT45_ENGINE_1.0.jpg
Web-icon-brabham-bt-45-11.jpg
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

That's ambitious. All the best.

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

Thank you Icon, great minds think alike and you have gone a bit further down the road. Certainly I will be building an early car, probably from the Race of Champions meeting at Brands (my first F1 race) so the gearbox information is gold.
Engine, again my thoughts were use the the Ferrari but now you have crushed them! I would be interested in acquiring a 3D print if they are for sale?
I wondered if the tub was wildly different in the early cars from the 44B, the cockpit is very similar but I think the car flares out more as it heads back towards that wider flat 12 engine.
Dave

dmarek
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Dave Marek
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda of course
James Hunt
United States of America

Post by dmarek »

expensive but you could use this...https://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/SHOP/KE012.html