Wingfoot stickers on helmets???

Ask away....

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Wingfoot stickers on helmets???

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Question: Does anyone know the significance of the randomly placed wingfoot stickers on Jody's helmet?

I have a picture of Ronnie Peterson's helmet with the same random wingfoot stickers.
daf71b67bde410e34313331588e89f06.jpg
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Wingfoot stickers on helmets???

Post by Steffen_T »

I checked a few pictures of the 1975 season and also found these stickers on the helmets of Emerson Fittipaldi, Niki Lauda, Jochen Mass and James Hunt.
So there should be a link between the win's of these drivers and the number of wingfoot's on their helmet's.

Your picture was taken at Zolder 1975. At that point Jody had three wins. Two from 1974 and one from 1975. So I am a bit confused why there are two wingfoot's on his helmet.
IMPORTANT: The color of these decals is not black, but a shiny gold.

From which season is the picture of Peterson's helmet?

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Is it an early variation of the Goodyear logo?

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

It seems to be more complicated then I first thought.
At Watkins Glen Niki Lauda seems to have 12 (!) of these stickers on his helmet. So Pole Positions and/or Fastest Laps might had been rewarded too!

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Thanks Guys!!

Steffen what you mention is exactly what I thought. Like a fighter pilot and kills this must have had something to do with wins, poles, fastest laps as you say. Funny thing I asked the same question on FB on the P34 page. My posting was indirectly aimed at Pam Scheckter who is a member of the page and her comments were less than informative. I think she misunderstood what I was asking.

Thanks again!!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi Derek,

you are welcome!
I think I got it now:
The Wingfoot's were given to the drivers for Pole Positions and Racewins:

Jarier (2 PP) -> 2 Wingfoot's at Monaco
Pace (1 Win & 1 PP) -> 2 Wingfoot's at Monaco
Mass (1 Win) -> 1 Wingfoot at Midseason
Brambilla -> Nothing at Monaco -> PP at Sweden -> 1 Wingfoot at France -> Win at Austria -> 2 Wingfoot's at Watkins Glen
Hunt -> Nothing at Zandvoort -> Win at Zandvoort -> Wingfoot at France

But the best to verify is Niki Lauda:
I found four pictures with 3, 7, 9 and 12 sticker's, and they all matched his previous results.

The only exceptions I found were Fittipaldi and Scheckter. They got an extra Wingfoot for some reason. I could imagine it is linked to their top 3 positions in the previous year. This is underlined by the fact that all the other drivers have their stickers next to each other at the same spot. For Fittipaldi and Scheckter the extra sticker is placed at a separate position.
Regazzoni should also have a sticker, but I haven't found good pictures of his helmet.

Some driver's seem to got tired by this 'game'. Pace, Scheckter and Fittipaldi don't seem to have these stickers anymore at the end of the season. For Fittipaldi the stickers went missing, when he started to use a new helmet.