Ask away....

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: Empty boxes - to keep or not to keep

Post by sky1911 »

bestbalsakits wrote:Don't do that anymore, but still hate it when there is tape or some other markings on the box. Ok so for 2nd hand - you know what you buy - but it is always a big dissapointment if some hobby shop put their sticker on top of a brand new item, or even on 1 of the sides. So I don't, ever.
Oh so so annoying. Stickers. Man, they used to do that on records back in the day. Destroy the cover with some "explicit lyrics" or whatnot nonsense sticker ("SALE!") that you had to carefully peel off to keep from tearing the cover. Actually I have a few old album covers framed in my hallway. If the record / kit is shrink wrapped, they can glob whatever stickers they want on the shrinkwrap, I don't care, but don't you dare sticky my box / record sleeve!
Cheers,
Roman

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

bestbalsakits wrote: My tamiya importer used to wrap their boxes in shrink wrap till 2 years ago. He now seals the boxes with several transparant roundels on the sides.
Wim
So in Belgium, or perhaps Europe, the Tamiya kits are not shrink wrapped in Japan? Then imported to Europe?

Here in the US, all kits are shrink wrapped, I am believing from Japan. Back in the day when Model Rectifier Company was the importer, there were MRC markings on the boxes, under the shrink wrap, so maybe the kits come in imported unwrapped?

Love this topic. Think I am gonna toss some boxes today. I keep my boxes figuring I will need them for storage or moving or something in the future. Or take the models to model contests and shows, but jeez, hope that returns soon.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

i get tamiya through france, and importer seals boxes themselves.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

steveracer wrote:
bestbalsakits wrote:

Here in the US, all kits are shrink wrapped, I am believing from Japan. Back in the day when Model Rectifier Company was the importer, there were MRC markings on the boxes, under the shrink wrap, so maybe the kits come in imported unwrapped?

Love this topic. Think I am gonna toss some boxes today. I keep my boxes figuring I will need them for storage or moving or something in the future. Or take the models to model contests and shows, but jeez, hope that returns soon.
I've been in Tamiya USA's warehouse many times and they do the shrink wrap there. They arrive in large boxes without any sealing, not even tape. Last time I was in Japan, the boxes in the stores have no protection on them either. You can open and look at any kit off the shelf. That would never fly here.

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Thanks for the insight PeteJ. Did not know that process.

Now on topic, :) I burned some boxes in the woodburner last night, so I am making some "hoarding" progress.... LOL.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Empty boxes? i use them to hide new bought kits from my gf the tamiya boxes are perfect for hiding studio27 kits :lol: