Use Mr. Color Leveling thinner with Finisher's paint?

Ask away....

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Use Mr. Color Leveling thinner with Finisher's paint?

Post by danibear »

I wonder can I use Mr. Color Leveling thinner with Finisher's paint?

I ordered the designated Finisher's paint thinner 2 months ago at Becky from Malaysia to USA, 2 weeks later showed it was transfer to Germany..... and stuck there since then (fro 1.5 months).... lol :D

Desperately need some thinner to dilute some Finisher's paint..... normal Christmas holiday was cancelled back this May..... :D

Was at Lake Tahoe skiing last year this time with beloved wife .... damn..... :evil:

phicks
F2
F2
Your Name: PAUL HICKS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: like 'em all !
United States of America

Re: Use Mr. Color Leveling thinner with Finisher's paint?

Post by phicks »

I have been using Finishers paints for years and using nothing but standard Mr. Color thinner with
most excellent results every time - funny you should ask as today I shot some Foundation White
with said thinner but recently got some of the Leveling Thinner and wanted to try it but I am a little
nervous about getting runs as the Leveling Thinner evaporates more slowly? Just have to get brave!
The Finishers lacquers are AWESOME paints.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Thank you so much sir! Great news for me.

After some research I am pretty sure the standard Mr.Thinner will satisfy most of the job, it is just like the designated Finisher's thinner. No need to use Leveling thinner.

However, based on my own observation (6 years of Finisher's paint user), 3 unique scenarios will probably needs leveling thinner:

1. Use Finisher's Semi gloss black on some really "deep" concave, such as 1/24 race car front lamps, such as Tamiya 1/24 Laferrari front lamps, and 1/24 Tamiya SLR front lamp. You will need leveling thinner to slow the drying, otherwise, standard thinner dries too fast will easily leave bubble paint cracks above the deep concave.

2. some pretty flat body surface, leveling thinner will give you more smooth surface. However, if you plan to clear coat later, why bother.....

3. More humidity condition like RH >65%. But.... just avoid is more wise.....

So, all in all, I ordered 400ml standard Mr.Thinner and 110ml of Leveling Thinner.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. It helps! Also, Finisher's paint is the best I have ever used. Except the white foundation...... always give me fine small particle residue as if not well diluted no matter how hard I shared before....

Finally, what's mix ratio you used? For designated Finisher's thinner, I use a mix ratio of 1 Paint : 2 thinner, i.e 20ml per bottle of paint + 40 ml thinner to make it 60ml total. For light color like Bright Red, Pure Yellow, Lemon yellow, I use less thinner, 1 Paint : 1.25 thinner, i.e. 20 ml paint + 25 ml thinner to make 45 ml total.

phicks
F2
F2
Your Name: PAUL HICKS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: like 'em all !
United States of America

Post by phicks »

I don't have a ratio , I just add thinner till it looks right. I also use Mr. Color Replenisher to bring back
dry,thickened paint from long storage and that works great too.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

I see.

I usually test airbrush long stored paints on a plastic spoon see if spray smoothly.

Good to talk with you, nice to find some Finisher's veteran here!

Be more careful when using Semi gloss black, sometimes spray too much to give me hollow paint crack at deep corners, but other paints never behave like that.

Also, only white foundation give me minor issues, other color foundation spray silk smooth.

lala40l
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by lala40l »

These are probably the best paints. Colors, coverage are great, and they dry very quick. I have used them with MR Color leveling thinner, without issue's. Recently my Mr color thinner was finished, so I tried a cheap Thinner from the Hardwarer store (with toluene). This also worked very well, although not so shiny, but if use a clear coat after it's perfect.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

lala40l wrote:These are probably the best paints. Colors, coverage are great, and they dry very quick. I have used them with MR Color leveling thinner, without issue's. Recently my Mr color thinner was finished, so I tried a cheap Thinner from the Hardwarer store (with toluene). This also worked very well, although not so shiny, but if use a clear coat after it's perfect.
Thanks for sharing!

F2
F2

Post by 43k »

I, too, am a user of Finisher's exceedingly good paints and +1 for using standard Mr. Color Thinner to thin said paints without any problem. I have tried Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and found it made little difference, except with the more transparent colours which made it more difficult to built up quickly. Also, I don't seem to have any problem with the White Foundation you described and I do find it excellent as a base white. The problem you described may be to do with too high a pressure when spray...?

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

Mr. Color Leveling thinner is the best stuff in the world!

I use to to thin lacquer paints as well as Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing.

Mr. Color leveling thinner and Tamiya acrylics shoot beautifully.