De-Static a plastic model before painting?

Ask away....

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

De-Static a plastic model before painting?

Post by steveracer »

Anyone have any tips to De-static the plastic parts before painting or clear coating?

Seems I have a lot of static particles clinging to the bodywork on some models and always get trapped in the paint even after using a tack rag just before spraying.

Any tips?

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: De-Static a plastic model before painting?

Post by danibear »

steveracer wrote:Anyone have any tips to De-static the plastic parts before painting or clear coating?

Seems I have a lot of static particles clinging to the bodywork on some models and always get trapped in the paint even after using a tack rag just before spraying.

Any tips?
Tamiya anti-static cleaning brush, and use a 2-stage airbrush, so that you push stage 1 to purely blow air to the parts without actually introducing paint. When you are happy then push for stage 2 to actually paint.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

To prevent static build up, I wash the parts with soap and water. You can rinse the part with alcohol if you don't mind the stain. Alcohol will carry water away from the surface when it evaporates.

I always only use paper towel to dry the parts. Never do any rubbing motion to generate static or leave lint on the parts. I only press down the parts on the paper towel. You can put the paper towel on top of a towel to give it a soft padding.
C K
Canada

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Thanks Guys, I am going to find that Tamiya brush - even though it is pretty costly....

I already do the wash on the bodies, however on the FW14B I am afraid of the decals pulling, so I am going to lighty damp it down...and I use the airbrush method to blow the dust off the model.

One other thing I noticed, I need to deep clean my spray booth, it has a fair bit of hangers on around it right now. It doesn't take too many spray operations to get that effect of dried overspray.

Anti static brush it is!

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

I've got a couple of those antistatic 'guns' that people use on their vinyl (I guess a lot of people will have thrown them away when they discarded all their LPs in the 80's).

I was doing the 'future' thing on my windscreen a few weeks ago and used the antistatic gun then. I can't say categorically say that it made things better (but it certainly didn't make it worse).

Just a thought - this is the sort of thing I mean:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milty-50366940 ... B0033SHDSS

Having looked up the link, I'm surprised how much they cost - please don't go out and buy one without a bit more evidence that it's going to do the job!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

steveracer wrote:Thanks Guys, I am going to find that Tamiya brush - even though it is pretty costly....

I already do the wash on the bodies, however on the FW14B I am afraid of the decals pulling, so I am going to lighty damp it down...and I use the airbrush method to blow the dust off the model.

One other thing I noticed, I need to deep clean my spray booth, it has a fair bit of hangers on around it right now. It doesn't take too many spray operations to get that effect of dried overspray.

Anti static brush it is!
I picked up this from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HG ... UTF8&psc=1. Its not super soft but it should work for what is needed and is pretty cheap.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

As a professional car painter, you learn various methods of making plastic parts antistatic in order to achieve a dust-free paint finish. I will limit myself to the possibilities that are available to every modeller, I will deliberately not mention the others as modellers do not have the necessary equipment at home, whereby I would also like to note that they are not as effective as what was mentioned above, namely using simple water, but without any additives of cleaning agents, which in turn can cause considerable problems in terms of adhesion and silicone problems.
As I said, simply wash the model with a fisco sponge that has been moistened, this is completely sufficient to achieve an antistatic effect, then go over the model again with compressed air directly before applying the paint and then apply the paint as directly as possible, this achieves the best result.
This is actually a very simple method, but just as effective in terms of the result.
Take a stand!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

I have also recently started using the Tamiya brush. I also clean my cabin every time I paint and spray water to reduce the amount of dust in the air.
Seema

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

gp-models wrote:As a professional car painter, you learn various methods of making plastic parts antistatic in order to achieve a dust-free paint finish. I will limit myself to the possibilities that are available to every modeller, I will deliberately not mention the others as modellers do not have the necessary equipment at home, whereby I would also like to note that they are not as effective as what was mentioned above, namely using simple water, but without any additives of cleaning agents, which in turn can cause considerable problems in terms of adhesion and silicone problems.
As I said, simply wash the model with a fisco sponge that has been moistened, this is completely sufficient to achieve an antistatic effect, then go over the model again with compressed air directly before applying the paint and then apply the paint as directly as possible, this achieves the best result.
This is actually a very simple method, but just as effective in terms of the result.
What is a fisco sponge?

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Fisco sponge.... yeah sounds a bit strange but i used a translator, obviously not the best, so a new try and some pics to make clear what i mean.
In germany we call it Viskose Schwamm, spanish should be esponja de viscosa (?) right?
Here a short link to such stuff and a pic to make clear what it is, think everyone knows such sponges or has seen them somewhere.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Spontex-Lackier ... 1132401617

The professional equipment with anti static effect and airflow is this one, but as i said, too expensive and uses high voltage. Not realy interesting for hobby use.

http://www.automax-automation.com/produ ... gspistole/

https://www.swepro.com/index.php?langua ... uct=fng500
Take a stand!