Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Why not a 1/12 transkit by F1M?

Post by Joaquin »

Hi all,

We have in the forum a lot of members with expert skills for many scratch building jobs. Many of us are asking frequently for this or that model desired to be produced by MFH or any other manufacturer, so...

Why not to cooperate to create what we desire? We have people able to

--- Design decals
--- Print decals
--- Design 3d parts
--- Print 3D parts
--- Design PE parts

One of the most commented cars is the Tyrrell 006. Why not to create by ourselves a 1/12 transkit based in the Tamiya 003? Or a 1970 Lotus 72C? Or any other that would be interesting for enough members? For me it would be a great milestone of our forum

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: Why not a 1/12 transkit by F1M?

Post by tubegenius »

Fabulous idea. I don't know how practical it would be.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

It's a good idea. However, we would need a project manager to coordinate the project.

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

It's not so difficult to establish the sequence of tasks to be done, and then which one is going to manage the different steps.
I'm very sure that many members have managed projects involving several people during our professional life, so I think it's not a problem.
If enough number of members are interested, I'm very sure we can do it succesfuly

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Joaquin wrote:It's not so difficult to establish the sequence of tasks to be done, and then which one is going to manage the different steps.
I'm very sure that many members have managed projects involving several people during our professional life, so I think it's not a problem.
If enough number of members are interested, I'm very sure we can do it succesfuly
You are absolutely correct several of us have managed projects in our professional life. And I believe this will be done with coordination from the team. Unfortunately, I don't have the skill sets to add value to the process.

Regards,

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

The idea is good, and Id say I´ve seen similar effort (french mates can confirm). But well, some members already do. :wink:
Sure we have done that thing of coordinating efforts in professional careers, but well we were motivated by a payroll and a guy at the helm :lol:
The thing is that when it comes to this as a hobby and a passion we're (crudely said) friggin individualists. Then comes the thing of (as in any project of this kind) what's the market, what's the profit and whats the split of it, the share for everyone involved. Put someone coordinating (er... but making stuff too? :roll: ) and it can be more complicated.
That all said... what the hell let's do it if we can!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: 8)
Nevertheless I reckon a collegiate management would be better than an Ecclestone up there. If I might help on decals and PE, plus on supplying measures to design the parts, there we go.

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

SBEST wrote:
Joaquin wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the skill sets to add value to the process.
Don't be negative. One of the main tasks is to collect information and pictures of the real car and to analyze differences with the car from the donor kit. Sure you haven't the skills to do that?

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

JamesB wrote: The thing is that when it comes to this as a hobby and a passion we're (crudely said) friggin individualists. Then comes the thing of (as in any project of this kind) what's the market, what's the profit and whats the split of it, the share for everyone involved. Put someone coordinating (er... but making stuff too? :roll: ) and it can be more complicated.
Well, the market is our forum, the F1M members. I haven't any interest about exploring for external interest.
The profit is to get a decent or maybe a great model of a subject we desire instead to wait for years until somebody will produce it. If we are 10 or 15 people here interested to have this model and to work for the target, why not to do?
Up to almost the final step, the production of a set of test parts, the unique expense will be our time, but I think we can split tasks with enough efficiency.
I am retired so I have more time tnan the active people, so I can assume some organization tasks

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Project management really isn't that difficult. For the most parts it's telling people what to do and sometimes also how exactly to do that (which they do on a daily basis for years but somehow keep forgetting on a daily basis when involved in a project) and when to do that and of course coordination between all parties involved, keeping track of the timelines, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts, some of which have been noted by Joaquin before (good post!).

For this "project" I would think it would be good to know the number of people interested in the product and the estimated costs. And that depends in part on how this is going to be done. Designing in CAD, then either print a prototype, mould it, duplicate / cast it or, if the prototype print is of sufficient quality, print all parts in the required numbers. Then maybe do the same for PE - design it, have the sheets printed professionally, either to transparent sheets and someone else etches them or hand over the design files and get the etched PE. And same for decals (Wim and Indycals may have insights into that process to offer)-
Cost is going to be a topic sooner or later since the hours spent in designing stuff, researching, etc. should somehow be reflected when the transkit is ready for those in the project to buy. Or it could be decided that as this is a labour of love (sort of), all external costs are shared equally between the interested parties and the hours by team members are not "billed" as such. If you know what I mean.

An import task will be the timeline, but since this is a hobby and people have actual jobs and a real life going on, it is likely going to be a bit more difficult to come up with a "reliable" ;) timeline and then further on to stick to that, since unlike in a working environment "unforseen" events can happen at any time to any of the team members with significant impact on everything.
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Good comments Roman,
Yes, the keyword in almost any project is the number of interested persons in the final product. People can participate in the work team or only as final customers if they haven't possibility to help.
Anyway, the really first thing is to analyze and decide the project to offer. I mean, according to the kits available as donor, what options we have