Ask away....

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: Why not a 1/12 transkit by F1M?

Post by sky1911 »

I think MOFO has some insight into that from what I remember regarding the original 3d printing thread. What I can think of regarding this:

Of course it would be possible to use the 3D models done for 1/12 for smaller scales, HOWEVER, you have to realize that at 1/24 the parts are half the size (genius maths, eh?) and that means if we have designed parts at the limits of the printers resolution for 1/12 scale, they will not work at 1/24 scale. Say doing a radiator mesh / grille in 1/12 scale would be showing finer detail than in 1/24 scale. If you would scale it down from 1/12 to 1/24, the thickness and width of the mesh elements might be below the threshold of the printer, i.e. too thin, hence not printable. So that might be an issue and it may lead to having to do parts differently for the various scales. Sticking with the example of radiators. Take the 330 P4 radiator at the front. You could do that using photoetch spacers of various diameters, small followed by large by small by large (you get the picture - also see the P4 done by Marcus here, with PE from Rasputen). The entire assembly threaded onto a 3D printed rod with additional U-shaped connectors. Scaling that down to half would either have you use PE with half the thickness (could be difficult to get consistent good etching results) to have the exact same look as 1/12 (which would be using the same 3D models) or redoing it in such a way that formerly 4 spacers (large, small, large, small) are reduced to 2 spacers (large, small).
Another thing to keep in mind is surface detail, say ribs on a gearbox or the cooling fins on an aircooled cylinder (think Porsche engine). What could be scale correct thickness in 1/12 might be too thin to reproduce in 1/24. This needs to be considered in advance while doing the models. If I were to do something like that, I would create a separate layer (or object) with the fins scale correct in 1/12 and again for 1/24 where the thickness would not be scale correct but printable - if you get what I'm trying to say. Basically keep the model "modular" to allow for different scales.

And as the topic of scales has been brought up - I think the first step would be to poll what model should be the initial project (say Monaco 312 T4), what scale(s) (if more than one) it should be and see who or how many folks around here would be interested to guesstimate the "scope" of this project and then take it from there.

Feel free to call out "Bingo" if I have ticked too many BS bingo boxes with that "essay" above :P
Cheers,
Roman

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

I would suggest a transkit to convert a MS11 to an MS10 :D
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Mclaren MP4/6 Brazilian Wings.

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Ferrari F190 to F189 early version?

Edit: Or did MFH already make one?

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Roman,

Thank you for your detailed explanation of the scaling issues for 3D printing. May drawings of the 1/12 parts will help as getting the information correct is always the most difficult part of a project.
C K
Canada

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I might be useful in a PM role. The biggest thing I'd recommend is to keep the first project small, only proceed on a project after a prototype has been created, require preorders on a project, and to understand that we'll likely need to get Eric involved to hold the money whilst parts are being made. As well there is always the risk of doing this, getting multiple people involved will likely mean there is a chance that someone runs off with materials or simply never completes the tasks they're supposed to do, so it might be better to partner with an already established business to help with logistics.

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

I personally would like the Monaco 312T4.

I do like the idea but I am not sure about producing a complete product as there are concerns with money, available time etc.

We could collaborate on producing the masters for this transkit. What I am thinking is that people can produce 3D files for the components and it could be made avaiiable for people to download to print their own. We could work out a price for those who have a printer that can print parts for those who can not print the part for themselves.

Similarly artwork for decals and PE parts can also be made available for those who can produce their own. Similar to above some people may be able to provide parts for others.

One of the strengths in this group is the ability to find references and the modellers keen eye for details. One person can produce a 3D file and others can print it out and give feedback on the accuracy of the part so that the 3D file can be improved. Same with arwork for decals and PE parts.

I suppose it can be done with making masters by hand but then there is the problem of how to get the cast items to other to evaluate as then money for producing castings and shipping items would come into account.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

I like this idea alot as i was thinking about making an Arrows a11 in 1/20th scale. i love the fact there is alot to learn about every aspect of making a kit/transkit

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

Alex_Kung wrote:I personally would like the Monaco 312T4.
Yes please!
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

Daryl_Huhtala wrote:
Alex_Kung wrote:I personally would like the Monaco 312T4.
Yes please!
+1 Seems like a good first project for the group.