Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Re: Kit size?

Post by Tyrone »

Out of interest, I've just made this, a rough comparison from the 312/67 up to the '21 car - with a 'generic' 2022 car for comparison, maybe they'll be a bit shorter next year - but not much!

https://i.imgur.com/N0tp033.jpg

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

The cars will be shorter only with a new engine configuration. Today they have a gigantic turbo between the engine and gearbox. Even with a minuscule engine and a smaller fuel tank, the KERS, HERS and necessary radiators are a lot of big things to arrange behind the driver. WIth a new engine, without the HERS and if possible with a smaller turbo, the car could be a lot smaller. But that will be only for 2025.

Curiously, Cart/Indycars shrank in the last twenty years. Back in the 90's the cars had a V8, plus a single turbo between engine and gearbox, and the cars were a lot longer than a F1. Today they have a V6, and two turbos on the sides, and even with the semi-closed cockpit they are a bit shorter than a current F2.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I always wondered what these modern day Cadillacs looked like compared to the cars I adored from the 70s and 80s. I knew todays cars were longer but it is still dramatic to see, side by side. I have to imagine, after seeing Kubicas car crumble around him in Montreal if, lets say the FW08 wouldn't wind up in the same condition in the same accident, assuming it was made from todays materials. I also wonder how a driver from back in the day would feel sitting in one of todays limousines. "I can't see the corners!"

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

smirkoff wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 pm The cars will be shorter only with a new engine configuration. Today they have a gigantic turbo between the engine and gearbox. Even with a minuscule engine and a smaller fuel tank, the KERS, HERS and necessary radiators are a lot of big things to arrange behind the driver. WIth a new engine, without the HERS and if possible with a smaller turbo, the car could be a lot smaller. But that will be only for 2025.

Curiously, Cart/Indycars shrank in the last twenty years. Back in the 90's the cars had a V8, plus a single turbo between engine and gearbox, and the cars were a lot longer than a F1. Today they have a V6, and two turbos on the sides, and even with the semi-closed cockpit they are a bit shorter than a current F2.
The cars have got considerably longer since 2014, and if anything the engine packaging should be smaller now than it was when the rules were introduced then.

Part of the reason for the current length is the downforce from the floor. So maybe they'll be able to save weight in 22 with a shorter car, as they won't need to have the long floors due to the new ground effect regs?

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Tyrone wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 pm Out of interest, I've just made this, a rough comparison from the 312/67 up to the '21 car - with a 'generic' 2022 car for comparison, maybe they'll be a bit shorter next year - but not much!

https://i.imgur.com/N0tp033.jpg
Nice!
Where did you get the 3D models from?
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

BMW wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:48 am Nice!
Where did you get the 3D models from?
They're all mods for the Racing Simulator Assetto Corsa. I've been collecting them over the years. They've been very helpful for 3d printing parts and the like.

https://i.imgur.com/M3iULpD.jpg

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Omg! That is a lot of cars!
I was thinking of 3D printing as well ;)

Anyway... yes F1 cars are getting bigger.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)