FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Revival of this Topic

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

I'd like to revive this topic in hopes of learning how you all photograph your models. The light box I made years ago got stepped on and thrown out, and last night I was trying to photograph my McLaren MP4/1C in my spray booth, which has plenty of lighting from LED strips. I could not get a decent shot. I was using my Nikon D5100, handheld with a 18-55mm zoom lens, and 40mm macro lens. One problem is my camera doesn't have depth-of-field preview. I think before I was getting good results with the camera on a tripod, a longer focal length, and shooting outside in the sun with my lightbox.

Anyway, there are always some really good shots of models on this forum (check out Steve Mohlenkamp's shot of the Brabham in the tire sidewall marking thread!). I would appreciate some input from the good photographers out there. :D :D :D

Thanks and Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

David-Ithaca-NY
F3
F3

Re: Revival of this Topic

Post by David-Ithaca-NY »

For depth of field. I will use apeture priority mode and shoot a series of different apetures, usually 2 steps apart. A quick download onto a computer and find the correct DOF that you like. Look at the details on the picture (right click or similar) and find the aperture you like.
I will still usually shoot with a step on either side of that.

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Well, it can't get much simpler and cheaper than my setup...

I have a piece of photo cardboard that I put on a garden table and bend the backside up. I put this setup in the shadow on a sunny day or in a normal spot on a cloudy day. I have a small canon compact camera that I bought 8 years ago for 200€ that I set to automatic. I usually shoot from about 1.5-2m away from the model, except for detail shots.

Results:

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

[quote="MarcoSaupe"]Well, it can't get much simpler and cheaper than my setup...

I have a piece of photo cardboard that I put on a garden table and bend the backside up. I put this setup in the shadow on a sunny day or in a normal spot on a cloudy day. I have a small canon compact camera that I bought 8 years ago for 200€ that I set to automatic. I usually shoot from about 1.5-2m away from the model, except for detail shots.

This is a great setup, ...simple set, shadows are minimal, contrast is controlled, no lights necessary ! I love it, and the results are very nice.

I choose to shoot models in the studio, but only because I have one waiting patiently center stage at all times. if you decide to go my route, use one simple light above and slightly behind the subject, diffused through a translucent piece of cloth or layers of tracing paper to soften the shadows, and reflect light in from different angles to fill shadows with small mirrors. I flag the background into shadow with a solid piece of cardboard from above to get the background to fall off to black. If you have manual controls on your camera, set the f stop to f11 or f16 or even better, f22. This gives you extended focus range (depth of field) and will get more of the model in focus than more wide open f stops like f2.8 or f3.5 or f5.6. Your shutter speeds will be longer with bigger number f stops, but who cares, the subject is setting still. (some of my model shot exposure times run 30-90 seconds). A tripod that holds the camera steady is important in model photography. A tripod isn't absolutely necessary, but it will allow you to use an fstop that creates more depth of focus, and will always be sharper than handheld.

I shoot models from the same angles that I use to shoot real F1 cars on track. I always wanted to take the viewer of my racing images right out to the car with long lenses and the best access. Soooooooo, a lot of my shots of models are created down on the level of the model, not looking down like I was shooting from a second floor balcony. And again, I like to take the viewer down to the car as if they were standing in the room with it. A good background is a piece of posterboard from the art store painted with textured paint, then painted flat black. Orrrrrr, you can use shiny posterboard and get reflections of the car. And if you need curbing, go to a model railroad hobby shop and get some "cork roadbed". It is a replication of the piled gravel that railroad tracks are laid on. Peel the halves apart and you have instant curbing with the texture of concrete. Use "N" scale roadbed for 20th scale, and "HO' scale roadbed for 12th scale. They are cork, so they bend, and can be painted white with red or blue sections and you have a simple "curbing" for on your background made from posterboard.

I do indeed use photoshop for my job hours everyday, so I bring that in for model shots too, adding motion.

Below are some examples of my studio lighting from different angles.

If there are any questions I might help with, I have no secrets, ...I love to help.

Cheers,
Steve

STEVE MOHLENKAMP PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.SteveMohlenkamp.com

BRABHAM-BT52-hinder-portrait-FIF-needs-the-world.gif
BRABHAM-BT52-direct-hinder-above-portrait-FIF.gif
BRABHAM-BT44B-portrait-FIF-copy.gif
SCALE-LEGENDS-FIRST-WIN-spread-3-copy.gif
SCALE-LEGENDS-BENETTON-B188-spread-2-emailable-copy.gif
This Benetton B188 was built by Jeff Wallen.
ferrari-641-2-cutaway-sized-to-book-spread-copy.gif
Double exposures and blending layers in photoshop.
ferrari-f2000-three-quarter-front-w-speed-sized-to-book-spread-copy.gif
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

A few more.
Attachments
09-BENETTON-B186-between-the-rails-copy.gif
11-BENETTON-B186-behind-the-williams-copy.gif
LOTUS-72C-overhead-portrait-web-use-copy.gif
LOTUS-72C-paddock-stripped-down-web-use-copy.gif
LOTUS-72C-both-cars-main-portrait-emailable-copy.gif
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

A few more...
10-B186-shot-camera-setup.gif
MODELS ESTORIL 005 FIF copy.gif
SCALE-LEGENDS-FIRST-WIN-spread-2-copy.gif
BRABHAM-BT52-stepping-in-FIF.gif
ferrari-312B-side-portrait-B&W-montage-web-use-copy.gif

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

plastiksurgeon wrote:A few more...
MODELS ESTORIL 005 FIF copy.gif
What can you tell about this one, Steve. A Photoshop rain filter?
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Indeed, a 21 step process to create rain. It is a separate layer I can lay over any image, any angle and I can adjust the weight of the rain. I use it on real racecar shots in the wet all the time. I have never picked up a camera with the intent of telling the truth.

Cheers,
Steve

vadim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jack Brabham
Ukraine

Post by vadim »

These are not only excellent photos but excellent models as well. Steve thanks a lot!

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

This has been so fun to dig thru model images to post here, so here is one more set.
RED BULL RB6 jeff wallen 001 FIF copy.gif
This RB6 was built by Jeff Wallen.
models-ferrari-641-2--001-FIF-emailable-copy copy.png
MODELS LOTUS 49 PANO with motion emailable copy 2.png
models jordan 911 carbon fibre press release 02 FIF copy.gif
models-ferrari-prost-a-tferrari-02-emailable-copy copy.png