For folks going to the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas

PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Re: Miami Track

Post by PTR »

I did not miss a race on the Detroit street circuit. Drivers and teams hated it though. Garages were in Cobo Arena with pits at nearly other end of the track. Course was super bumpy. I recall they welded manhole covers down as ground effects would dislodge them. The noise of those engines bouncing thru concrete tunnels and buildings was epic though.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Sounds like a good mix of the Dallas GP and the New Jersey/New York CART race from 1984. And, while I wish it was 1984 again, those 2 could be left behind.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I just noticed the fake yachts. Comical. I hope nobody get hurt.

PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Post by PTR »

I thought you guys were joking about yachts and fake harbor but I see that now. Very strange.

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Well, it sold out and that’s that. What do I know? It’s just a clumsy track that’s looks like Disney Marina without the actual water. I’m from the US and I find it just a campy mess. We can do better. Expect a lot of red flags tomorrow.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I am from the USA as well. Been to Watkin Glen, Detroit, Montreal, Indy, SPA, and Mexico City. It's cool that there race in Miami. However, the track looks to be uninspiring. And at this stage I am not interested in paying 1000K+ for grandstand tickets. I probably end up going to COTA or back to SPA to see a race before I retire from going to a track.

One last comment I want to make. It's good to have more races. However, as the old saying goes less is more. I hope F1 keeps that in mind. At the end of the day it's just a car race and not the World Cup.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

The Alpine livery seems right at home amongst the tackiness.

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

I have to say I've been following the Indy NTT Series again this year because I can watch it live on TV. And I have to say that some of the courses here are very crazy and simply different, but they always have their appeal.

And when I see Miami then I have to say it's the same here. There are a few nice and fast but also treacherous corners and sections.
I have to say the chicane is very narrow, maybe there will be an adjustment for the new year. Drivers have divided opinions here.

As you can hear, the asphalt has been a requirement to also use material from the surrounding area, sometimes not necessarily the best if you have to make compromises.

But when I also hear that a private promoter is needed to hold this race because a city refuses to hold it, then I have to say that you also have to depend on what space is available.

Enjoyed it yesterday although it was made interesting again by the safety car... everyone will take their stuff for 2023 and I think there will be some new things again next year!
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I have to say it was not a bad race, better than I expected. The new cars seem to do the job of close racing.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Not bad, Sean, but they struggled a bit to overtake.. though as well, its not supposed to be easy!
With the SC it was a closer, funnier race, sure.
I thought Checo would leapfrog all them three, but nothing. Carlitos put up a nice defense. Though he's seeing too much Charles' (dammit, I had not realized till now they are namesakes! :shock: ) gearbox.. with the far vision spectacles, may I add.
Lou is having a bad time, that's obvious too.
Visually the track is nice, I love the intricate Monaco like sector, and the bridges over the track make it better. Then the smoothly flowing bends/straights, they are nice. It also has a bit of Valencia air to it. Much that I hated the European GP affair, I admit I miss having the circuit there :lol:
Last but not the least, I like the cars. And the sight of the Ferrari, so close to the car of 31 years ago, has some weird and spooky sensation to it.