U.S. grand prix

For folks going to the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas

Topic author
87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

U.S. grand prix

Post by 87bmwm6 »

I was wondering how many f1m member attended the United States grand prix in Austin this year. Also toughts on the selection of the Taylor Swift as musical entertainment? Also interesting what other thought of that fan fest silliness, not much to do with F1 me thinks. I went, but did not go to see Taylor Swift... no my cup of tea. The race was awesome from turn 12. Jack

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: U.S. grand prix

Post by mobiusone »

I was there for sure in the turn 4 grandstands. Was a great spectacle to watch the cars go through the S's. I know Dave (llham44) was there as well.
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Post by waxdart »

I was able to take my father in law out to the pit walk on Thursday. He has been a F1 fan since the 50's but had never been to a pit walk. It was very packed with people this year. I was not able to take many pictures this year because of the throngs of people. Of course I had gotten my father in law all excited with my past years pictures where I'm right next to Nico R, right across from Jackie Stewart and Lauda. This year was a bust as the only driver at the fence line was Ericsson and there were lines of people 10 deep to get close to him. Seems like the teams were a bit late getting their equipment and maybe the drivers were late getting in. Wasn't able to make the race because of some health issues but have every plan to be there next year. Thing I hated to read was that the attendance was down every year since the first year and they didn't know if the shine of F1 had worn off in Austin. After the race they reported that the 3 day crowd was the largest of all the races so far.... Next line was Taylor Swift saves Austin F1.... Yuck Cheers, Tim Keily

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Tim, I still want to join you in Austin, for one of these races...maybe next year it will be "Lady GAGA"...!
That is why they sell cold Fosters at the races!, a few of those Big cans, and it won't matter who's singing!
Ciao, Kirk
(the soon to be homeless guy pushing the grocery cart full of Hiros 1/12 F1 models down the road -
and holding the sign, "I need money to buy model cars"...)

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

I don't know where you gentlemen are located- but, to me, there's only one GP on North America worth seeing- and that is Montreal. I live in Allentown Pa- so it's an easy 8 hr drive though the beautiful Catskills mountains - and Lake George, Lake Placid, and Lake Champlain. I've been there several times so we stay in a Holiday Inn Express in St Jean sur Richelieu for about $140 per night with breakfast. Pub in the parking lot.15-20 minute drive to Metro stop in Longueil, one stop from the race. I've been 7 times and have enjoyed it immensely. Saw Senna. Saw Michael win several times. Saw Jean Alesi's only win. Fantastic track with outstanding access. You can be closer to the racing than at ANY racetrack that I have ever seen. In fact, there is a spot near Grandstand 11, where you can stand next to catch fence- and the cars are accelerating and they are not more that 12 or 15 feet from you. The people of Montreal are nice and friendly- TONS of great restauraunts -lots to do. Just a great great F1 weekend. and it can be done reasonably. We went in 2013( last year for 8 cylinders) Two of us split hotel- went to excellent dinners in the city every night- ate and drank well, saw different local bands each night - sat in Grandstand 11 and still only spent about $1400 each.
Highly recommended after Mercedes dominance ends and 8 cylinders come back...........

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

I don't know where you gentlemen are located- but, to me, there's only one GP on North America worth seeing- and that is Montreal. I live in Allentown Pa- so it's an easy 8 hr drive though the beautiful Catskills mountains - and Lake George, Lake Placid, and Lake Champlain. I've been there several times so we stay in a Holiday Inn Express in St Jean sur Richelieu for about $140 per night with breakfast. Pub in the parking lot.15-20 minute drive to Metro stop in Longueil, one stop from the race. I've been 7 times and have enjoyed it immensely. Saw Senna. Saw Michael win several times. Saw Jean Alesi's only win. Fantastic track with outstanding access. You can be closer to the racing than at ANY racetrack that I have ever seen. In fact, there is a spot near Grandstand 11, where you can stand next to catch fence- and the cars are accelerating and they are not more that 12 or 15 feet from you. The people of Montreal are nice and friendly- TONS of great restauraunts -lots to do. Just a great great F1 weekend. and it can be done reasonably. We went in 2013( last year for 8 cylinders) Two of us split hotel- went to excellent dinners in the city every night- ate and drank well, saw different local bands each night - sat in Grandstand 11 and still only spent about $1400 each.
Highly recommended after Mercedes dominance ends and 8 cylinders come back...........

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I was there with friends from UK, wanted to come here for the weather instead of Silverstone

Weather was great, we tried Turn 11, 4, and 1, on the grass,

love the venue, great track, seeing the DVF's go through the S's was amazing

Alex Hague

amszterpeter
Formula e
Formula e

Post by amszterpeter »

I have been away from the forum for a spell, so I am late in posting, but I was in Austin at the USGP. We had awesome seats in Turn 12 and enjoyed every minute. While I been following F1 since the late 1960s, it was my first live show. I am 79 years old, so it was probably my last. The total experience was great and perhaps I am partial, but Hamilton's driving was fantastic. In one word: Smooooooooooooth!
I wish someone would model this year's Mercedes or McLaren Honda; I would certainly buy both in a minute and give building it a go even with my old and shaky hands.
Peter

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Ebbro can supply you with this year's McLaren: http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/bbg8xc ... xzxml.html
Dede.

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

Haven't been to the USGP, but the inclusion of Taylor Swift was a great way to drive ticket sales. I have been to the Singapore GP each of the last couple of years, and there are always an additional 10k+ folks that come to the track for the post race day concerts. These folks come only for concerts, at least from the ones I talked to at the concert, and also get to experience the race as well. It brings in a different audience that might just help expand the fan base.
Mark