I'm going!

For folks going to the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas

Topic author
vintagethunder
Formula e
Formula e

I'm going!

Post by vintagethunder »

I'm working the USGP in Austin! At the moment I’m scheduled as “intervention”, not a flagger. That may involve moving vehicles, a bit more risky that it was behind the barrier and fence at the MotoGP race I did a few months ago.

It has been interesting reading up on the switches and lights. If the data recorder records a impact over a certain amount, the medical light located in front of the cockpit opening, (always on but normally dimmed) turns bright blue. If lit, driver goes for a medical check regardless of apparent condition. In the same area is the clutch neutral switch (marked with red N in a red circle on white), flush or slightly recessed. It must be pressed for at least a full second (to avoid accidental use) and also disables car and ERS (Energy Recovery System) for 15 minutes. The ERS lights look to be a string of LED lights at the top of the air box that indicate green if safe, orange for caution, red for do not touch without rubber gloves. They recommend rubber gloves unless checked and declared safe. We are probably all familiar with the external master switches on each side of the cockpit marked by E in a circle. Those shut off ignition, fuel pumps, rear light, and triggers on board fire extinguisher in cockpit and engine compartment. We are to not pull that unless really needed, as it will have to be cleaned up, refilled, and it will cover the driver if he is still in the car and rather unpleasant. I will be on station two weeks from today! I can’t take pics while cars are on the track but am really looking forward to it. More later!

Tom

ARROWSA21
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Mark Armitage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Arrows
Great Britain

Re: I'm going!

Post by ARROWSA21 »

Thanks Tom, thats really informative and interesting.

Hope you have a troublefree weekend and can enjoy the racing

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Amazing information I had no idea about the little LED's! Thank you for sharing :)

On a side note, Mclaren must keep hitting the emergency off switch before each race, have to talk to Ron about that... (I can joke because i'm a Mclaren fan :P )
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Texasjohn
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Texasjohn »

My seats are in turn 15. Really looking forward to the historic race, stay safe and enjoy.

John