For folks going to the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Austin GP

Post by stubeck »

Exactly! I'd rather go to a European race then go to Austin for an F1 race at an unproven track.

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

For anyone in Mid Atlantic and New England area- Montreal is the best GP for many reasons. I live in eastern Penna- and it's a very easy 8hr drive - and quite beautiful too, if I'm honest.The track is outstanding and you sit very close to it for excellent viewing- plus there are many big screens to catch the action on other parts of the track. You can stay in the city- and book the required 3 nights and pay what is essentially double rates- and we've done that and had a great time- but- in 2010 we stayed about 15 minutes from the last Metro stop and had nice rooms in a pretty new Holiday Inn Express in St Jean sur Richelieu for $120 per night. With weekend passes in the fabulous Section 11 and really good meals in Montreal I still only spent about $1500 total. I would love to see the Austin area and I really hope that this GP happens in 2012 and has a long and successful run- but I've been to Montreal 6 times for the race- and I'd still prefer go back there again- rather than take a chance on a Tilke track with huge runoff areas- and sit 50 yards back from the action. Just my .02

Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

Didn't have to pay that much for a room the first year of Indy USGP just across town.

b16da9
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by b16da9 »

Dino wrote:Didn't have to pay that much for a room the first year of Indy USGP just across town.
It’s outrageous…….hotel prices are nearly the cost of the plane fair.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

SanMarino wrote:Cheap motel is another option.
Having worked in the hotel industry for many years and being in the city where the Kentucky Derby is run, I can tell you that there is no "cheap motel" in a city where there is an event like this. In Louisville when the Derby is on, it's a min 3 night stay and rates approach $1000 for the weekend for a mid range place. Even low end and you're looking at $400-500. Plus, *ALL* rooms are sold out for a 75+ mile radius. Trust me, I've tried to find rooms for patrons and had to go to cities 100 miles away AND THEY TOOK IT. Crazy.

Sorry for the rant. :lol:

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

b16da9 wrote:
Dino wrote:Didn't have to pay that much for a room the first year of Indy USGP just across town.
I agree, that is why I'm glad I don't have to fly. Austin is a short 2 hr. drive for me. I may not even have to have the Hotel room. 8)
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

b16da9
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by b16da9 »

Fuel*Buzzed wrote:
b16da9 wrote:
I agree, that is why I'm glad I don't have to fly. Austin is a short 2 hr. drive for me. I may not even have to have the Hotel room. 8)
If I lived the close my wife and I would diffidently drive the two hours for the race on Sunday.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

b16da9 wrote:If I lived the close my wife and I would diffidently drive the two hours for the race on Sunday.
Since this will be my first ever F1 race, I am going all 4 days. I just got word that I have a spot on the Motor Coach, soooo NO hotel room required! :D

Russell Wells

b16da9
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by b16da9 »

Fuel*Buzzed wrote:
b16da9 wrote:If I lived the close my wife and I would diffidently drive the two hours for the race on Sunday.
Since this will be my first ever F1 race, I am going all 4 days. I just got word that I have a spot on the Motor Coach, soooo NO hotel room required! :D
nice.....you just saved yourself over a grand in boarding.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

I just purchased my Austin GP Tickets.

I bought in the turn 12 Grandstand. Section T-12-8 Row 25, seats 6-9. :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Russell Wells