M23 1/12 Tamiya texaco info

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

M23 1/12 Tamiya texaco info

Post by F1Modlz »

Hi guys I assume this is the place to ask. I'm planning after huge thought on building the texaco mclaren in 1/12 by Tamiya. I have the old kit but need to detail it if possible. Reference is not a problem but the thing I have an issue with is the rivets and extra detailing sets that may or may not be available. I'll be contacting rob at rb motion over these but is there anything specific out there that is available to enhance the kit. The kit I have is an original boxed item from 15/20 years ago so has no photo etch that's another thing I need if that's a a available: decals I'm going to ask Indycals for these as the originals are all yellowed and ruined after many years being sat In the box. I have all the tabacco livery decals just need the original set from the box or better. It's possible if available that I'll get a new gearbox off Brian but all the other extras I have no idea about. So if someone could give me some advice or guidance then please let me know.

Thanks guys. If this is not the right place to put this could someone put it in the right area

Many thanks Paul

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: M23 1/12 Tamiya texaco info

Post by lezdep »

I would suggest to try your local Tamiya store or/and distributor to source fresh set of decals and PE parts. Kit was re-issued
fairly recently, and there could be a way for Tamiya distributor to get those items for you.

For generic DFV parts you could get 2 different sets from MFH, 1 from MacsModeling and some PE from TVF1.

I assume rear suspension links set from RB Motion could be adopted for M23. Not sure, but may be some of RB Motion
dumpers could be adopted for M23 too. RB Motion also have hardware set to detail 1/12 DFV engines.

Bunch of rivets and simulated bolts from different suppliers could be used to add more details.

I think there is more generic detailing parts you could use. Just visit your usual on-line stores and search away.

Topic author
F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

lezdep wrote:I would suggest to try your local Tamiya store or/and distributor to source fresh set of decals and PE parts. Kit was re-issued
fairly recently, and there could be a way for Tamiya distributor to get those items for you.

For generic DFV parts you could get 2 different sets from MFH, 1 from MacsModeling and some PE from TVF1.

I assume rear suspension links set from RB Motion could be adopted for M23. Not sure, but may be some of RB Motion
dumpers could be adopted for M23 too. RB Motion also have hardware set to detail 1/12 DFV engines.

Bunch of rivets and simulated bolts from different suppliers could be used to add more details.

I think there is more generic detailing parts you could use. Just visit your usual on-line stores and search away.

I will do. Thanks for the heads up Kinda thought this would be the case but just wanted to see if there was anything else out there that I didn't know about ...

Paul

lham44
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Post by lham44 »

I have contacted Tamiya USA for parts, you just have to call 800-826-4922 to order. Give them the kit number and part number if you have it. Hope this helps!

Dave White

Topic author
F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

lham44 wrote:I have contacted Tamiya USA for parts, you just have to call 800-826-4922 to order. Give them the kit number and part number if you have it. Hope this helps!

Dave White

Nice one cheers matey appreciate that I will do

Thanks for your help

Paul

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I started the reissue and made it up to the point of doing the wiring on the engine. The tubing Tamiya incuded, in scale - to me - looked like garden hoses coming out of the cover. I got new cam covers, but I never found satisfactory wires. Anything out there to correct that?

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

bossy122 wrote:I started the reissue and made it up to the point of doing the wiring on the engine. The tubing Tamiya incuded, in scale - to me - looked like garden hoses coming out of the cover. I got new cam covers, but I never found satisfactory wires. Anything out there to correct that?
For the fuel lines, fishing line works great. Just go to your nearest outdoor's store and pick the one that looks to be the correct size to your eyes. For the spark plug wiring, Mac has the correct scale wire available, along with replacement cam covers. Mac also has some resin replacement parts for the kit.
Mark

Topic author
F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Macs modelling? Never used him what's he like for stock etc?

Paul

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

F1Modlz wrote:Macs modelling? Never used him what's he like for stock etc?

Paul
Check out his web page. He's one of the best, though he is on x-mas break at the moment, I think.
http://www.macsmodeling.com/
Mark

Topic author
F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

d111298pw wrote:
F1Modlz wrote:Macs modelling? Never used him what's he like for stock etc?

Paul
Check out his web page. He's one of the best, though he is on x-mas break at the moment, I think.
http://www.macsmodeling.com/

Thanks I'll check him out

Paul