M23 1973 Yardley WIP

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: M23 1973 Yardley WIP

Post by adamg1987 »

This must be the slowest progressing thread on the forum, i haven't picked up my modelling tools for what seems like an eternity!
It seems these days i'm destined to be a collector, not a builder!

Anyway, i have made some small progress. I have had a lot of trouble with the Acu Stion vacuum formed screens from HLJ they are listed as 1974 M23 screens but when trimmed down they don't seem to be the same shape as the kit 1974 screen! I thought at first i may of trimmed too much so ordered a few more but they all appear to be the same. This has been a major bugbear for months and after ordering several screens i was getting no where.

I managed to find a model shop in New Zealand called Model Crafts and Hobbies who produce and stock 1974 screens. well i had nothing to lose apart from maybe a small selection of my money but it paid off they're spot on! here's some pictures. i ordered two incase i messed the first one up (done that before).

Top to bottom - Model Crafts, Standard Tamiya & Acu Stion

Here is the Acu Stion screen over the top of the Model Crafts you can see there is quite a big difference.

and the reason i went for Vacuum formed screens, the thickness. .85mm on the standard Tamiya screen and 0.17 on the Model Crafts screen

Onto the next job which i hate, masking! i dont like masking one bit and i put this particular job of till last.

Not as bad as i thought in the end.

I think soon i will be ready to apply the decals but I've now decided i want to semi gloss clear coat over the decals but as the model stands i feel i would be in a difficult position to paint clear over the monocoque as it is.

any suggestions?

I will try to update soon and maybe finally finish a model!

Adam

Schumi
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Martijn
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: -Ferrari
-Benetton
-Michael Schumacher
-Ayrton Senna
Netherlands

Post by Schumi »

That's some pretty nice work, a big shame about your wasted time and especially money with those Acu stion screens, but nevertheless everything's gonna be fine in the end :D :wink:

Cheers, Martijn
🇬🇧

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Great to see this one back up and moving....nice work so far.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

so ive come too far along with this model now and it needs clearcoating over the decals. ive decided to tape it all up first decal it and clearcoat it in one go. it will take me few days to mask up but i think this is the only option.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

My first attempt at p/e stencils, i did this on a spare Tyre i had. It's a bit soft towards the edge because its difficult to get the flat stencil to conform the the curves of the tyre. However looking at old photos the Goodyear stencils on the 1/1 cars was never perfect so i think ill leave the tyres as they are and complete the rest.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

More progress albeit slow, because of the messed up way i built this model i had a small strip of orange towards the rear of the body which should be white followed by a gap which shouldn't really be there.

In an ideal world i should of assembled and painted the body before anything else! I'm going to try to rectify this though. i used superglue in the gap to fill the void. and then sanded down the excess. i masked off the surrounded area and painted only the side pieces in question.

The result isn't perfect but i don't want to risk making it any worse. I'm currently waiting for the paint to fully cure and i will use micromesh pads to polish up slightly and then on with the decals and clear coat.

In the meantime i also painted the Goodyear stencils on the rear tyres, i think i will do the fronts again as the rears look much better. does anyone use clear coat on tyres? i have heard of people using matte clear coat?

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

I'm ashamed to say to say ive been building this for four years now and i still haven't finished a model despite starting a few others. I've finished the decals now and I've started to mask up sections for the clear coat.

I've decided to go with a semi gloss clear coat from Zero paints rather than a gloss. I'm going to let the decals dry off for a few days now from advice from another modeler.

hopefully if the clear goes well i can start building it back up again soon. Few pics below.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Adam,
Build at your own pace..you will get there in the end.Going great !

Alex.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Its really nice to see an M23 in the Yardley colour scheme. Looks great!

Malc.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

Really struggling not to put this in the bin after coming so far! Since lacquering the monocoque the decals reacted in a small area near the front I managed to sand down the imperfections and repaint the front section only this left me with a completely different shade of white which led me to painting it again this time the whole top half. This left me with a paint reaction towards to rear which needed correcting 4th paint job correction in and everything looked fine until the morning where the front this time showed a reaction. I've sanded it right back and I'm going to attempt to paint it one last time. I'm not giving up just yet so wish me luck 5th times the charm.