M23 1973 Yardley WIP

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: M23 1973 Yardley WIP

Post by adamg1987 »

Thank you that means alot this is my first model I started and am yet to finish one, its been a big learning curve but I have learnt a lot from people of this site I couldn't of got this far without everyones input.

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

You're doing a stellar job Adam :D Can't wait to see your next update!!

Cheers, H

F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Really enjoying your build....looking forward to more.
Rick
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

Thanks for all the positive comments :)

made some small progress this morning, drilled all the .5mm holes in the canopy for the rivets to be glued in.

I will be using top studio rivets here to enhance the look of the canopy. I'm lucky the canopy already had dimples molded in to replicate the rivets so i used a scribing tool to mark them and give me a starting point to drill the required holes, the final piece should look good!

Has anyone got any recommendations for getting rid of the mold lines from manufactures?

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

adamg1987 wrote:Thanks for all the positive comments :)

made some small progress this morning, drilled all the .5mm holes in the canopy for the rivets to be glued in.

I will be using top studio rivets here to enhance the look of the canopy. I'm lucky the canopy already had dimples molded in to replicate the rivets so i used a scribing tool to mark them and give me a starting point to drill the required holes, the final piece should look good!

Has anyone got any recommendations for getting rid of the mold lines from manufactures?
For mold lines in the body panels, I use sanding sticks and sanding cloth from coarse to smooth to get a nice finish. After some primer, you can hit it with sanding cloths again to clean up until perfect.
For clear parts, I start with sanding cloths, then use Tamiya polish to restore the clarity of the glazing.
Cheers,
Chris

imatt88
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Ian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Senna, Sir Jackie Stewert, among others.
I followed Lotus, Williams (because I was stationed near their HQ back in the '80s), Mclaren, and a bunch more
United States of America

Post by imatt88 »

Adam,

Great job so far. Keep the pics coming!

Cheers, Ian

crossofiron
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by crossofiron »

Looks really great,
Lovely Engine...
Looking forward to the rest :D
Whatever you do in life, always give 100%
Unless your giving blood...

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

I wasn't happy with the way the fuel injection system came out or the finish on the funnels. I could of been a bit cleaner in my methods. after much deliberation i decided to pull it all apart and start over. This time with the MFH DFV funnel & distributor set. The parts are white metal mostly with aluminum funnels.

Finished throttle bodies awaiting the funnels, the springs are a nice addition but the MFH springs are too long so i used some top studio exhaust springs i had laying around.

Started assembling the fuel injection system the MFH kit provides yellow tubing for the fuel pipes but its too large to fit over the ends on the fuel pump section. I'm going to sleeve the yellow piping inside some larger black piping hopefully this will work out. looking at reference pictures this is similar to the real thing anyway.

The turned trumpets awaiting to go on :) also the springs which were too long :(

Adam

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Looks great matey. No glue bombing here lol. Like what you are doing with this kit . Defo keeping an eye on this

Paul

Topic author
adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

finished the fuel lines and ht leads today and got everything in place not 100% happy with the results the fuel lines were too long so had to trim them in situe! could of been a lot cleaner but overall i think an improvement over the kit parts. also noticed a extra tube from the oil filler cap to the box mounted above the gearbox so added this in whilst it was apart.

before

after