1976 M23 Hose Routing

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

1976 M23 Hose Routing

Post by gavrob »

Do any of you M23 experts know, or have a photograph showing the correct route of the hose that runs between the left and right radiators on the 1976 M23? The photo below (of the 1977 car) shows the hose I'm referring too (in the middle of the photo, behind the ignition box). I'm finishing up the Japenese GP car and I'm a bit stumped about the correct routing of this hose.
Thanks for any help.

Gavrob.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Re: 1976 M23 Hose Routing

Post by smbrm1 »

Hey Gavrob

The 1976 M23 had its engine oil coolers mounted in front of the rear wheels on either side of the car in an extension of the radiator side enclosure. This hose based on its size and location will connect the left engine oil cooler in series to the right engine oil cooler.

You may find these of use for this or future projects:
http://members.shaw.ca/millersbrm/publications2.html

Stephen :D

Topic author
gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Stephen, I should have been more specific. I understand that this hose connects both left and right oil rads, what I cannot see is where it is routed on the 1976 M23. I can only assume the same way as on the photo of the 1977 car, but I can not find any evidence.
I also already own both your DFV books and very useful they are too.

Thanks, Gavrob.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Hi Gavrob. Appologies I am not always able to connect knicknames to DFV Profile owner names. I see now that your issue is reference photo related. Using a 1977 car as a guide is not unreasonable.

Since you have the profile, lubrication system F is appropriate based on the photo shown here. Of course your coolers are situated differently. Go in the bottom of each cooler and out the top, cooler fittings should be top & bottom to the front of the car away from the tire.

Hope that helps.

Stephen

Topic author
gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Stephen, thanks for the quick reply.
It's the hose between the rads I'm particulalry interested in. For 1976, was it routed over the top of the gearbox spacer as shown in the photo? I can't see how else it would be routed, but I can not find any photo evidence to back it up.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Ah, now I think I get your question better. By route you meant its path location where the hose is laid, not how it is routed from a connection perspective.

I have also seen it run in the same basic location, but between the engine block and the spark box. I would suggest that running it across the front of the engine over the drive belt shroud is an alternative, however that area can be crowded and would seem impractical from a maintenance perspective. I notice in a 1977 photo it was also tie wrapped to the rear suspension cross member more neatly than in this photo.

It could be anywhere the mechanics wanted to put it, even changing from race to race or session to session until they would find an optimal location. This is one of the reasons why I believe correct connection is more important than getting hung up on a definitive period routing locations. If you have a photo reference great, if not then no one else probably has one either, and if they do will they remember it when they look at your model? There is no reason why a small scale modeller cannot rely on the same artistic licence as the 1:1 mechanic/builder. Thinking in terms of is it practical, and could it/would it have been routed that way based on practices of the period may be a more appropriate approach in the absence of specific references.

87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 87bmwm6 »

that's a lucas sport coil.....same one as on my triumph tr3

Topic author
gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

smbrm1 wrote:Ah, now I think I get your question better. By route you meant its path location where the hose is laid, not how it is routed from a connection perspective.

I have also seen it run in the same basic location, but between the engine block and the spark box. I would suggest that running it across the front of the engine over the drive belt shroud is an alternative, however that area can be crowded and would seem impractical from a maintenance perspective. I notice in a 1977 photo it was also tie wrapped to the rear suspension cross member more neatly than in this photo.

It could be anywhere the mechanics wanted to put it, even changing from race to race or session to session until they would find an optimal location. This is one of the reasons why I believe correct connection is more important than getting hung up on a definitive period routing locations. If you have a photo reference great, if not then no one else probably has one either, and if they do will they remember it when they look at your model? There is no reason why a small scale modeller cannot rely on the same artistic licence as the 1:1 mechanic/builder. Thinking in terms of is it practical, and could it/would it have been routed that way based on practices of the period may be a more appropriate approach in the absence of specific references.
Stephen, you make a good point about it probably changing during the season. I'm specifically interested in the Japanese GP, and the references I have, although far from clear, do not seem to show the hose routed over the spacer, I certainly can not the compression fitting, it does though seem the obvious route. Thanks for your help, I'll think I'll go with it over the spacer.