Tamiya 1/12 1973 Yardley McLaren, Peter Revson

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1/12 1973 Yardley McLaren, Peter Revson

Post by F1FANRH »

WOW........just watched to the last lap of the Spanish Grand Prix........Ferrari was the boss with the Spanish Driver R. Alonso behind the wheel, he drove the dog poop out of that car, tires, heck, he just drove and did not worry about tire wear. That is what F1 is about......you go boy!
Ferrari 1st and 3rd, not bad, not bad @ all for the Team and their wonderful drivers.
And even though I pull f/McLaren.......who did not fair so well :( .
I was pleased to see what a Lotus did w/Raikkonen behind the wheel, he also raced hard to pull a 2nd place finish.
I also believe F. Alonso went into the record books today with his number of wins. Monaco next during Labor Day weekend here in the USA.
Man those Ferraris were just bad.
Rick

PS: Oh yea, lets give a shout out for RedBull.....they started strong. :wink:
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

steveoccc
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by steveoccc »

F1FANRH wrote:
steveoccc wrote:
F1FANRH wrote:Oh yea, a order was fired off to get the pre-colored A/N fittings to complete the fuel cell and pump on the cell. This is coming from RB Motion along w/a few other little odds and ends.
What size did you order? I'd like some for my various 1/12 kits but have no idea what size to get. :?:
Ok Steveoccc, I hope this helps.....like everyone else before me I am sure, it is a process of elimination :roll: .
Now with that said, I might be of some help.......there are many varied sizes of A/N fittings used in the connection of fuild lines........to say one has it figured out, is for the one who makes them I guess. As for me....I have bought and if it worked great, if not, into the parts bin! Please in no way accept my suggestions unless you are willing to give it a try and see if they work for you as they have for me.
I tend to stay middle of the road when ordering all these varied sizes of .o this and mm that :!:
Here is a short list of what I have used/ordered.
1.37mm
1.60mm
1.98mm
2.64mm
Now as for what type, that will be up to you if a bend,angled or straight.
Best suggestion I can give is to order a few sizes and see how they work out for the application you are looking to use them for........RB Motion is the best source for these. I wished I had a better way, but this is how I came up w/what I use!
Rick 8)

Thanks, Rick!
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - Robert A. Heinlein

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

I do hope I was of some help, I do not have a math formula to calculate the required size f/application....I sure wish did. But I tried.........thank you for the reply.
Rick

PS: Your team did win the Spanish GP........... :mrgreen:

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Have not started painting anything yet, still mocking and adjusting to get pieces into place after the main body has been painted. What you see in the photos is not glued and the Upper A Arm was a stumper until I came up w/the solution of how to insert with the front bulkhead @ same time :idea:
Rear radiators are in place and can be removed/inserted after painting.
Attachments
Mock Up 006.JPG
Mock Up 001.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

You have got to just love the after market people, you have available parts that @ one time, only those w/the skills and a machine shop could produce for themselves and their models........I stopped competing because of this in the NASCAR Model World.
But today, a set down on the computer, search, order, Pay-Pal and ala-ka-zam
you can have all the goodies one desires, or as much as your poor wallet can bear!
Case in point....E.JAN, these peeps are tha bomb......1/12 Funnel Set 8) .
Attachments
Alum Trumpets 002.JPG
Alum Trumpets 001.JPG
Alum Trumpets 003.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

A bit bummed out today :| ........I ordered some parts as recommended @ the 1st of the thread from eBay f/a Airbox and correct lower wing and mount......got them today :evil: ......was sent in a large mailer envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8( :twisted:
This was sent from Japan to USA. Parts were destoryed to say the least and of no use :twisted: ..........oh well, guess a box was too difficult :roll: ......and for what I was charged, a box could/should have been used? :twisted:
But, that is a 1st for me and I hope the last! :?
Rick

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Only Hobby Shop in my home town is a Hobby Lobby, for my EU brothers, this is a large chain craft store w/a model section, but they do have a great selection when it comes to paint and supplies, purchased a few colors and hope to start painting some parts by this weekend............man, has been awhile since I bought model paint! I purchased Vallejo acrylic, Modelmaster acrylic and Modelmaster enamel for certain apps but not over or w/the acrylic, also purchased all the top coat finishes and thinner.............spent alot more than I was prepared, but was needed. :shock:
Rick

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Received a care package from RB Motion, now can proceed w/some of what I was working on. Hope to post some paint work after this weekend.
I am not rushing the build, rather, I am taking my time and enjoying the process for a change.......this is the 1st plastic model I have built in quite along time.
I have noticed however that the price for this kit keeps climbing here in the States, I purchased from Amazon for a fair price, is now getting abit high in the price range, I better nab one before they get stupid high. I want one to stash away, who knows when they will come out again........I remember a time when this was one of the Holy Grail kits here in the USA.
Rick 8)

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Have a question for those who build w/low wing and mount...................the normal wing as comes in this kit is mounted to parts Q21/24.........that is for a high wing, I am mounting the short wing.........looking @ photos, am I correct in understanding that the low wing mounts to parts Q9/10/11?
Any help will be appreciated.........8)

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great work on the Macca, I really like your attention to detail. Those E-Jan (MFH) intake trumpets look great. I have a few sets in the after-market parts stash, but have yet to use them.
F1FANRH wrote:You can never have too many McLarens being built @ the same time.
I would love to see the M19 kitted......... :o One can hope!
Rick 8)
MFH makes a 1/20 kit of the M19 in three versions. It's a very nice kit.

Cheers,
Chris