Haynes Manual

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: Haynes Manual

Post by Flemming »

gablet wrote:Are there in this new manual many period tech references?
Define many. There are some shots, but for me the best thing is the photos of a reskinning of an old M23 tub with good detail of what goes on inside the front shock absorber cavities. A clear view of what the bracket looks like!

But I'm desperately disappointed to find that all chassis except the one smashed at Nürburgring in '74 are accounted for and there is no chance of a cheap barn find... So I can't get my own M23! :mrgreen:

Flemming

gablet
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lauda
Italy

Post by gablet »

Thanks Flemming :)

Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Post by Jeep »

Amazon Canada was supposed to have it in early June, but now they say August 1st. :cry:
Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

The most fun conversion for the Yardley 1:12 version combined with a narrow Mac modelling airbox would be the M23/2 that was used down under. Just add a Leyland V8 engine and a Budget car orange paintwork! Didn't know that one.

Flemming

dmandam
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: DMANDAM
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Cook Islands

Post by dmandam »

Flemming,
Fun indeed...especially in pairs!
I am currently working on just such a conversion, in two (Budget in orange/black/white and Unipart white/red/blue) variants.
Like most race cars it evolved over time and figuring out which version to tackle was fun by itself.
Although it was built without altering the McLaren bits, it turns out to be quite complex - the Leyland V8 was not structural and needed sub-frames to carry it and the transaxle and suspension.
The latter was the parallel link system, not the one in the kit; fairly straight forward to recreate using some of Rob Bentley's RBMotion gems.
The (ex Rover, ex Buick) Leyland lump is also a surprisingly complex casting and has taken much longer than planned to draw...but will hopefully be easier to build.
David

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Just received my book via Amazonia,
Wow what a good book a must for the Mclaren fan.
It has some great reference photo's,but more importantly
I like the photo's of the cars at the race tracks of this period,
Quite detailed.
Magic! :mrgreen:

Nigel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Nigel »

Received email from Amazon last night that my pre-ordered book should be here in the suburban St. Louis, MO between the 18th and the 22nd. Improvement from previous ETA of August.

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

I guess that I will have to be the odd man out.
I took a chance and purchased this book. Knowing what a Haynes Owner's Manual really is, I was very disappointed that this book has been presented as a Hayne's Owner's Manual. It was not what I was expecting by having a lot of detailed photos, drawings and explanations as to how the car goes together. It is definitely not your father's Haynes Owner's Manual.

That said, it is a very nice "HISTORY" book with a lot of good historical information and a good complement to my other McLaren book by Doug Nye. I am glad to have it in my collection as I am sure the rest of you are.

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Jimmy wrote:I guess that I will have to be the odd man out.
I took a chance and purchased this book. Knowing what a Haynes Owner's Manual really is, I was very disappointed that this book has been presented as a Hayne's Owner's Manual. It was not what I was expecting by having a lot of detailed photos, drawings and explanations as to how the car goes together. It is definitely not your father's Haynes Owner's Manual.

That said, it is a very nice "HISTORY" book with a lot of good historical information and a good complement to my other McLaren book by Doug Nye. I am glad to have it in my collection as I am sure the rest of you are.
To be fair this is pretty much the format of all the modern Haynes "Manuals", from the Star Ship Enterprise (their best seller by all accounts) to the HMS Victory. Look elsewhere for really technical info, but the Red Bull volume was pretty detailed.