Tamiya 1/12 McLaren M23 1976 with MFH-tk

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
ewestra
Midfield
Midfield

Tamiya 1/12 McLaren M23 1976 with MFH-tk

Post by ewestra »

The Shadow is almost ready. I started this 1/43 Tameo Kit a few months ago and wanted it to be finished when I start this project. Pics follow soon. At this moment I'm figuring out all the details for the McLaren M23. Though the Transkit from MFH is mindblowing, there still some details left out. More of that soon. In the proces I will still buy some aftermarket stuff to further enhance the detail of the M23. There will be aftermarket parts from RB-Motion and recently I've bought the magnificent Hewland gearbox. These gearboxes carry more detail then the original Tamiya. http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/racing-car. As reference I use the WWW, this site, modeller and the 2 volumes from SpeedDetails. I'm very exited about this project since I was a great fan of James Hunt that time. I even was a member of the James Hunt Fanclub and recently I discovered I still have his picture with original autograph, whattayouknow..... :D This will be a long WIP and hope you'll enjoy the ride.

Eric
Last edited by ewestra on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya 1/12 McLaren M23 1976 Japan with MFH-tk

Post by eyckles »

Hi Eric,

This is going to great. I will follow this wip with great interest. Looking forward to see this wip.

Best regards,
Lesley
Best regards,
Lesley

Topic author
ewestra
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ewestra »

Thanks Lesley.

Here's the autographed picture of my hero back in the seventies.

Eric

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Eric, I've been building with the MFH trans kit for a while now. Before you start, here are few things I've come across that you may like to be aware of:
The kit gearbox spacer is not long enough for the 1976 M23. I added approximately 50% to it's length. If you leave it as is, you will not able to fit the ignition box between the engine and the anti-roll bar.
The kit does not include the rear brake ducts. These were present on the Japan GP car. I have scratch built a pair.
The mounting bracket for the rear suspension, that is positioned across the top of the gearbox, is not wide enough (compare it to the standard kit version). Leaving it as is will lower the ride height too much as the dampers will be mounted at too shallow an angle. Widening the bracket also allowed room for my (scratch built) brake ducts to fit through the cross braces that run from the front of the mounting bracket to the engine/spacer.
I think the trans kit tyres are too wide. I have reduced mine in width. Unchanged, the front wheels are not wide enough for the tyres and they foul the front uprights. If you use the rears as supplied in the transkit, with the insert, the kit supplied screw for the wheel nut is not long enough. That would need changing.
Overall though, the trans kit is good and I am enjoying using it. It just needs a lot of dry fitting to make sure it all fits!

Hope this gives you a 'heads up' of some of the issues I have found

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Super info :D . I love such inputs :D .
Could you show some pictures so I understand 100% the problems you are talking about?
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Topic author
ewestra
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ewestra »

Thanks a million gavrob. I'm still studying my referencepics. I hope you'll be around if I need some help. One thing that puzzles me, is the reargeometry. Are the pictures the right way to go. Is this the right set-up for the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix??? :?

Both pictures are from "DBP" who send me the pictures on CD.

Eric

Leirodorp
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Leirodorp »

Hey Erik,

There you go, I'm really looking forward to your build and most likely I'll use it for reference.

Have fun, Ronald

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Eric, I have the same photos, they show the 1977 rear suspension, it is not correct for Japan 1976.
Allnie, if you look at Eric's 2nd picture, you will see the ignition box that sits across the top of the gearbox spacer. If the kit spacer is used unchanged, you will not fit the ignition box between the rear of the engine and the suspension mounting bracket. The photo's also show the mounting bracket that I increased the length of (the top of the rear dampers connect to it). Lengthening that bracket also meant having to scratch build the supports that connect to the rear of the engine and the spacer. I'll try to post some photos of my build at the weekend.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

gavrob wrote:I'll try to post some photos of my build at the weekend.
SUPER :D :D :D
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Villeneuve
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Villeneuve »

+1000
YNWA,
Markus

Gilles and Ferrari will always be synonymous. The others just drive for Ferrari but Gilles IS Ferrari

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H