Need help with instrument panel of the Lotus 79

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Need help with instrument panel of the Lotus 79

Post by Orso »

I have a problem with the cockpit. I am looking for images of the 1978 instrument panel, or more precisely the arrangement oft the electrical toggle switches. Most pictures (real cars and models) show the 1979 set-up. This mean at both sides of the instrument panel small plates has been attached where the switches has been relocated. In 1978 these switches where located in the holes of the bulkhead in front of the driver. I have found a pic of the left side in the Tipler book showing the black knob and two switched and a switch at the centre of the steering wheel. The other pictures show either the prototype or the 1979 version. In the MFH book there is a picture from Sweden showing the same two left hand switches. I need to find out the layout of the right side and also were the extinguisher button was placed. Could that be the knob on the right side in the Tamiya kit?
(Btw. The 79-5 that was built for the 1979 season doesn't have these holes in the bulkhead)

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: Need help with instrument panel of the Lotus 79

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hello Björn

I am not sure if it can help, I am not an expert on late 70's lotus, I found two pictures which might belong to the 1978 car, at least that was the caption for the photo.
Lotus 79 (1978).jpg
Lotus 79 (1978).jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Lotus-79-Cosworth_22.jpg
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks, but those have the modified 1979 panel. The switches are visible on both sides of the steering wheel. But the pictures gave me something else I hadn't seen before. The hole on the sides above the seat. I must look deeper in to that.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

I have been out searching on the net without luck with the placement of the fire extinguisher button. I did find the layout of the switches in the bulkhead. One thing that i learned is that the 1979 type of instrument panel seem to from 1978 initially. I noticed that the 79-4 had it in pictures from Holland and Italy 1978. As I am building the 79-4 I don't have to find the answer right now. Instead I need to rob the Hasegawa kit of the instrument panel and fill the holes in the bulkhead.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

As I said I've found a picture of Andretti's new 79-4 at Monza 1979. It has this type of instrument panel. It also has a bulkhead without the holes. It got the function of adjusting break power between front and rear breaks so there is a knob on the right side of the bulkhead. This knob seems to be present in the Hasegawa kit but should not be in a car from a race before Monza. I'm not sure if the 79-1 and 79-3 got this function for the two last races in 1978). It isn't easy to build an undressed car. I'll better keep building them buttoned up. The biggest problem is finding contemporary pictures. Pictures of the restored cars can be deceiving as they have many 1979 features and also have been modified during the years.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Zandvoort
Zandvoort
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch
This is all I have for 1978. :?

Malc.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks. The Brands Hatch pic confirms that the brake adjustment wasn't present then.