Green 79's

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Green 79's

Post by Orso »

I'm preparing parts for some green Lotus 79.
1979-79_01.JPG
First the hole for the throttle mechanism that shouldn't be there on a 1979 car. Initially I made a bilge from plastic card but then I bought the MFH conversion kit and decided to make the bilges in the same shape as the one in the MFH kit. More filler and sanding is still needed.
1979-79_02.JPG
Sadly the rear wheel in the MFH set is wrong for a car with outboard brakes an that has given me trouble. But with the arrival of the Ebbro Rob Walker Lotus 72 I might have a solution.
1979-79_03.JPG
In this kit there is a set of extra rear wheels with the right shape and with four spokes but of the wrong shape so I'll try to adapt these.
One big problem is that the spokes are in the wrong place so the wheels don't fit on the lotus 79. Trying to fix this I started by adding 3,5 mm piece from a plastic tube.
1979-79_04.JPG
Then I removed 3 mm of the other half inside the outer flange.
1979-79_05.JPG
When the parts are reassembled the wheel will hopefully fit on the 79. Now it is time to reshape the spokes and reinforce the joints before do the same operation on the next wheel. (But first I need to make sure it will fit the 79)

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: Green 79's

Post by Shunter »

Looking forward to watching this, great start with the correction to the wheels.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Great start ! I wil folow from up close !

Alex.

Capri2600
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Rainer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ligier
Germany

Post by Capri2600 »

Great start, i really like the 79 version.

I have had the same Problem when building mine.
I made the wheel inserts myself and cast them in resin, i still have two spares if you want them just pm me you adress.

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

I've been interested in seeing how the Ebbro wheel might work. I'll be watching keenly to see how this works out.
Cheers,
T

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

"Capri" Thanks for the offer. I tried to avoid removing the spokes as it probably is the hardest part to realign and then to putty and sand. So after thinking this through I think I pass.
In fact I have decided to leave the spokes as they are. If i start working on them they probably end up looking worse. They are almost invisible as a matter of fact and when the wheels are painted black I guess that even less is visible.
I tried the converted wheel on the 79 and it seem to fit. I will replace the nut in the MFH part with a poly lock from Tamiya so that the wheel will fit.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks to Icon_Modeler and jaykay I got a good solution to the wheel problem.
1979-79_08.JPG
1979-79_09.JPG
Wheels are 3D printed to my measurements but I chickened out not adding a small flange at the outer edge of the rims.
1979-79_10.JPG
Now I have decided to add it so I cut a circle out of masking tape that had a smaller diameter than the rim and put it on the wheel and added putty around the wheel.
1979-79_11.JPG
1979-79_12.JPG
When the masking tape was removed I had the flange. Now I can finally build the kit. :D

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Hey, Looks great!!! Now you can carry on with the project. Looking forward to seeing your progress!!!! :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports