A long time to finish a '78

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

A long time to finish a '78

Post by mazyen »

Hello to all
I've decided to move this WIP to the proper forum for 79 (78)
This kit has been ‘rotting’ in storage for over 20 years. Since I am in the mood for black cars, I’ve decided to get it started again with the help of a ‘not so accurate’ Tabu decal for the 1978 Monza car & of course you guys & gals.
This project has been going on for quite a long while. This started basically as an out of box built but towards the end I've decided to detail it using whatever leftover detail bits I can scavenge from my spare box.
At present most of the painting & decaling are completed & polished which left me with the detailing works. The problem is that all the bits are already painted.
The dreaded work to tackle the misaligned con rods are been done at last & next will be the misaligned exhaust pipes.
Lee
Attachments
0001.jpg
DFV mated to gearbox finally
DFV mated to gearbox finally
1) Hose ends added &amp; radiators connector fr masking tape &amp; aircon alu tape<br />2) Does anybody know what is this tank for &amp; it's colour. Still need to do the small piggy back tank &amp; plumbing.<br />4) under tray channels fr thin &quot;Evergreen&quot; plastic card
1) Hose ends added & radiators connector fr masking tape & aircon alu tape
2) Does anybody know what is this tank for & it's colour. Still need to do the small piggy back tank & plumbing.
4) under tray channels fr thin "Evergreen" plastic card
1) Etched straps fr my armoured leftovers<br />2) Seatbelts fr Acusion &amp; bandage tape<br />3) &amp; 4) missing retaining beads added for rear wheels
1) Etched straps fr my armoured leftovers
2) Seatbelts fr Acusion & bandage tape
3) & 4) missing retaining beads added for rear wheels
1) The cowling- to cut or not to cut for the roll hoop<br />2) the misaligned con rods spruce<br />3) &amp; 4) Welcome to &quot;Austlia&quot;. The words r in yellow when they shld be in white. Did not cleared over them in case I am in the mood to replace them in future.
1) The cowling- to cut or not to cut for the roll hoop
2) the misaligned con rods spruce
3) & 4) Welcome to "Austlia". The words r in yellow when they shld be in white. Did not cleared over them in case I am in the mood to replace them in future.
Missing bolt heads added
Missing bolt heads added
Missing bolts &amp; nuts added &amp; con rods been rounded at last.
Missing bolts & nuts added & con rods been rounded at last.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Re: A long time to finish a '78

Post by allnie »

HINT: MFH (E-Jan) has developed a trans-kit where you get all the parts for the Monza 1978 car. Could save you a lot of work.

Br
Allan
Br
Allan

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Good Job :)

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Thanks, Allnie for the pics. Also it is too late in this build to buy the Ejan transit kit even if i am willing to pay for it.

Not much done except shaving & sanding the exhaust pipes to get the dreaded seam lines off while still keeping them round.
Next job is to relocate the anti roll bar from the bottom to the top of the gear box. Will have to fabricate some bits & pcs for the mount.

Found a pc of metal mesh left over from my previous build & decided to experiment by making a mould out of epoxy putty using the kit solid plastic mesh. Will know whether it will work once it is dry.

BTW the 78 got slowed down as I got distracted again by starting up 2 new Lotuses at the same time
Attachments
The 2 part epoxy putty mould for the mesh
The 2 part epoxy putty mould for the mesh
The anti roll bar
The anti roll bar

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Allnie, photos are great. I believe the it has been said that the extra fuel tank was responsible for the fire when Peterson crashed at Monza.

I believe it is the Peterson book from TIpler that this is mentioned....

Steve

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Phew! Intake mesh done at last. Epoxy glued & strap from wine bottle foil as it is easy to bend.
Attachments
intake mesh
intake mesh

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Very nice work on the Type 78. Great tip on the mesh covers. What kind of material did you use for the mesh?

Lesley
Best regards,
Lesley

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hi Lesley,
The mesh was left over from my Protar Ferrari C2. It is actually very soft.
Anyway got the exhaust pipes painted at last. Titanium Gold, followed by mist coats of Vallejo dark grey & black and Tamiya acrylic clear blue all diluted with water. It was then smoothen by rubbing it with a cloth. Still thinking of how to scratch the roll bar mounts.
Lee
Attachments
0010.jpg

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Got a bit of "model detailing block" & didn't do much except getting the easy bits glued together. Exhaust pipes fixed to engine & engine fixed to chassis at last. Car then declared "on the road". The tail pipe springs are made from shavings from a plastic sheet as I couldn't make a wire one properly.
Found an old bike helmet & decided to make a Ronnie helmet out of it. Still dreading the plumbing works, therefore may cool off this kit for a while.
Attachments
0011.jpg
0012.jpg
Thicken by adding plastic card in the middle. Considering using foam as the padding. This trial pc is too thk. Will source for finer foam. The good thing is it can be dipped in paint &amp; then fitted in
Thicken by adding plastic card in the middle. Considering using foam as the padding. This trial pc is too thk. Will source for finer foam. The good thing is it can be dipped in paint & then fitted in

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hi,
decided to will myself to complete the plumbing works to this long stagnant WIP & here are a few pics of the work done during last weekend. The Tamiya braided tubes are difficult to work with as they tends to fray at the end. The other lines are just solder wires.
Brake lines are in progress & have also removed the mesh & improved the intake trumpets.
The anti-roll bar is next on the list.
Attachments
IMG_2268.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg