Why is this hole in the Martini version ?

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Why is this hole in the Martini version ?

Post by jordan »

JamesB wrote:
jordan wrote:
jordan wrote:..you see..no hole..!

Alex Nahooy.
Guys ! instead of a hole there should be a small bump.. :roll: ..and don't any of you start a new joke about bumps.. 8)

Alex Nahooy.
OK, then maybe a part is suposed to be fitted into the hole -please no jok... oh dear!- to make the bump, as some kits have to make the protuberance for gear lever...
.nope..

h.kruithof
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Harm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Emerson Fittipaldi
Netherlands

Post by h.kruithof »

The hole can also be found on JPS cars. It's there for the throttle cable actually connects to a throttle bar you find between the inlet trumpets. It was there I quess to make it easier for the mechanics to rev the engine when there was no one in the car. I got this picture from Akihiro's website. You can see what I mean to describe just above the Ford logo. This connects to the throttle cable and this is what you see through the hole in the bodywork.
Full report on the DFV build you can see on GDIST 43 under Work in Progress.

Harm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Harm,

Thanks.I know what you mean but the fact is that the 79 Martini did not have the cut-out in the cowling..but Tamiya made one.It is not
supposed to be there so if anyone would want to make a "correct" version of the Martini car the cut-out should be made into a "bump"..

Alex Nahooy.

PS: I did not use the word "Hole".. :lol:

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

..and not on this car either..

Alex Nahooy.
Attachments
SWE 002.jpg

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

You can see it in this picture, just in front of the NGK sticker.
I have more pics where you can see it, but this one is the best to show it.
But it also seems as if Mario had a hole and Ronnie didn't :lol: on the car that is.
And I think it is exactly what Harm says, but then it is strange that it only shows up on Mario's car.
Attachments
7805dea0331.jpg

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

[quote="h.kruithof"]The hole can also be found on JPS cars. It's there for the throttle cable actually connects to a throttle bar you find between the inlet trumpets. It was there I quess to make it easier for the mechanics to rev the engine when there was no one in the car. I got this picture from Akihiro's website. You can see what I mean to describe just above the Ford logo. This connects to the throttle cable and this is what you see through the hole in the bodywork.

Harm

Agree, this access port is shown on the JPS. The Tipler book shows it on page 32,42(Peterson),and colour pages 3(top) and 5(middle), page 147 and 162(is it a port or a bump?). In some cases it was barely visible, but its there. I agree that it is a throttle access port. Perhaps by the time of Martini, it had a cover or maybe a mechanic with long fingers who could reach the throttle otherwise!

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems like the hole was plugged on the Martini cars but Rebaque seems to have this hole for most of the races in 1979. Now I had to look at pictures of the 1978 cars as well and it seems to have been a hole at some races and plugged at others. Perhaps it can be traced back to one specific car but now I have another thing to look for building the JPS cars.

Björn

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Orso wrote:Thanks for pointing this out. It seems like the hole was plugged on the Martini cars but Rebaque seems to have this hole for most of the races in 1979. Now I had to look at pictures of the 1978 cars as well and it seems to have been a hole at some races and plugged at others. Perhaps it can be traced back to one specific car but now I have another thing to look for building the JPS cars.

Björn

There is always something!

Stephen
http://members.shaw.ca/millersbrm/speeddetails.html

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Looking at the pictures I got makes me think that 79/2 (Ronnies car) didn't have that hole until Monza were it appeared.
79/3 that Mario rode until the crash in Austria seems to have the hole all the time. The 79/4 that he had after this also seems to have this hole.
But I can not be sure as I am missing pictures from a few races.

Björn

Villeneuve
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Villeneuve »

h.kruithof wrote:The hole can also be found on JPS cars. It's there for the throttle cable actually connects to a throttle bar you find between the inlet trumpets. It was there I quess to make it easier for the mechanics to rev the engine when there was no one in the car. I got this picture from Akihiro's website. You can see what I mean to describe just above the Ford logo. This connects to the throttle cable and this is what you see through the hole in the bodywork.

Harm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
this is just to prove the point that if you stick your fingers or maybe even your hand in to a hole you can rev things... :wink: :lol:
YNWA,
Markus

Gilles and Ferrari will always be synonymous. The others just drive for Ferrari but Gilles IS Ferrari

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H