FW22 Williams BMW :: FINISHED

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

FW22 Williams BMW :: FINISHED

Post by BigDuke6 »

43rdMichael: "It is a modeling site after all" - Waiting on rivets for Lotus49 has caused me to crack out a new kit & join the speed build. If Ledzep & Builder77 can have a dozen builds going at once, I can have 2 =)))

Treasure Hunt kit thanks to William Chan =) Kit is the Hungarian GP, but I'll be building the OZ GP version for Jenson's first GP - no blue on the airbox & no chimneys \ aero pieces. Tyres will be replaced with S27 ones from destroyed BAR003.

* Decided to make styrene wing elements to replace the cast metal ones... they were too heavy to get a good fit on the body and easier to sand.
* Attached bodywork which sits in amongst the rear suspension - added styrene sheet to sit flush with the undertray
* Body & undertray did not fit - so I placed some glad-wrap on the undertray and filled the gap with Tamiya 2-part-putty and screwed together. Removed the excess and the fit is 100% better.
* Added a brass rear wing mount to make assembly easier

Body now in primer to fix up any imperfections. I've also found a good solution for filling largish gaps in the bodywork or between body parts... CA glue with some fine pieces of resin (from sanding a spare piece) mixed in. Drys quickly and is easy to sand.

PICS:
Last edited by BigDuke6 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: FW22 Williams BMW :: WIP

Post by 43rdMichael »

Great start!!

Nice work replacing the body fins!

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Big D, Nice start to a pretty tricky kit. I know your not at this stage yet but be very careful with the decals(thick and brittle!)Mine drove me crazy.
Atb,Alexp.

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

alexpayne wrote:Hi Big D, Nice start to a pretty tricky kit. I know your not at this stage yet but be very careful with the decals(thick and brittle!)Mine drove me crazy.
Atb,Alexp.
Couldn't agree more, built this back in 2002 and recall decal problems, needless to say there was a bit of dark blue paint touch ups when finished but turned out ok in the end, I did use the metal rear wing plates but i think you're correct, plastic would have been better & easier to fit.. Good tip for the future with body to undertray fit issues, thanks.. :wink:
I have seen this kit built elsewhere with the front wing mounting struts left too long and sticking below the wing element... I'm sure you wont make that mistake :P
Dede.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Dede wrote:
alexpayne wrote:Hi Big D, Nice start to a pretty tricky kit. I know your not at this stage yet but be very careful with the decals(thick and brittle!)Mine drove me crazy.
Atb,Alexp.
Couldn't agree more, built this back in 2002 and recall decal problems, needless to say there was a bit of dark blue paint touch ups when finished but turned out ok in the end, I did use the metal rear wing plates but i think you're correct, plastic would have been better & easier to fit.. Good tip for the future with body to undertray fit issues, thanks.. :wink:
I have seen this kit built elsewhere with the front wing mounting struts left too long and sticking below the wing element... I'm sure you wont make that mistake :P
Yep that was mine :oops:
Alexp.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Found an old FW24 in the spares box and thought the rear brakes looked pretty good. So I hacked away at the middle bit to make them the same size as the metal brakes. They are already c\f'd which is good! Excuse the blob of glue, this will be hidden behind caliper when they are attached to the car.

I've replace the mirror supports with brass rod as well:

Styrene deflectors were sanded down and painted. I think they came out pretty good - much better than attaching the metal ones at the same time as the rear wing. Glad I spent extra time on these bits. (the grey dot is on the camera lense!)

Decals!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: The backing paper has stuck to the decals and the blue sections are now "hairy"! I managed to sand them down a bit with 1200 grit, and unless someone knows where to get a replacement set, this is the best I can do :cry: I might try and sand them down a little more before the clear, but I don't want to sand through them completely.

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

Love that williams. TS 55 is a good match for the air box if you wanna do it (I think it came later in the season).
You mean that the residue on the decal didn't even come off with water on it. I had the same problem on a car and before applying them I rubbed them with water and my finger and the paper went away.
Great looking car and great job on the rear parts ;)

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Manu wrote:Love that williams. TS 55 is a good match for the air box if you wanna do it (I think it came later in the season).
You mean that the residue on the decal didn't even come off with water on it. I had the same problem on a car and before applying them I rubbed them with water and my finger and the paper went away.
Great looking car and great job on the rear parts ;)
That was what I was going to suggest, wet the decal surface and wipe off what stuck to them, I guess you tried that first without success, Another suggestion would be try some rubbing compound!!!
Looks good so far..
Dede.

wilchan
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Will C
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mika Hakkinen, Jacque Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by wilchan »

Looking great!!!! :)

-- william
Visit my personal page: http://www.wilchan.com :)

http://www.wilchan.com/j199/img_icon_1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f2001/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/m193/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/r1/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f310b/img_icon1.jpghttp://wilchan.com/lotus_102/img_icon1a.jpg

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

nice work so far. love that car too.