Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Karl
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Re: Speed-Build : Ferrari F187/88C

Post by glank27 »

With all the respect, but still cannot understand why bothering to acheve a close-clour-look-as possible with Tamiya TS-8; when Zero Paints offer fantastic paints with very close colours. They produce the 70s/80s Ferrari F1 red. Tremendous ease of use!

fangio
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by fangio »

glank27 wrote:With all the respect, but still cannot understand why bothering to acheve a close-clour-look-as possible with Tamiya TS-8; when Zero Paints offer fantastic paints with very close colours. They produce the 70s/80s Ferrari F1 red. Tremendous ease of use!

The 70s/80s Red is okay up to and including 1985, but the colour changed for the 1986 - 1996 period. Closest match for this in the Zero range is Rosso Corsa 300. Finishers also do a range of Ferrari Reds which spray very nicely, if you don't like Zero.....

David

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will stick with Tamiya Italian Red for this one, as I already have a can and I'm comfortable with using it. I intend to use Zero in the future though.
The problem I have with the Fujimi tyres, is that they are a lot bigger and more bulbous than I think they should be. I gave up rivet counting a while back, but I think this would be very obvious on the finished model.
BTW, I've almost finished spraying the Tamiya rims, and the tyres are masked up ready to have the manufacturers logos sprayed on.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Well a few more precious days have ticked by. Although I haven't posted any photos for a while, I've been working with reasonable diligence on it
The chassis has been prepped, primed and painted. The wheels are done, although I still haven't gotten around to spraying the makers logos on the tyres. Just out of interest, what brand of etched stencil do you use ? I've got a Crazy Modeler one, but it only provides one stencil sized for the larger rear wheels, which means I'll have to be extra careful with positioning for the front tyres.
The front and rear wings are prepped, primed and sprayed gloss black, ready for decalling before bringing it back to semi gloss. The carbon fibre pattern is depicted on the plastic provided by Fujimi. Although it's a nice touch, I consider it over scale and won't be highlighting it. I'm hoping it will provide a subtle effect if left unhighlighted. This is purely my personal preference, of course others will differ in their opinions.
The monocoque is primed, although I'm having a little trouble with one seam, so it's still a work in progress.
The basic engine components are constructed, I've got the main seam to work on now.
The engine cover is prepped and primed, and the inside has been sprayed semi gloss black.
I have 20 year old Formula One models that have sat in the cabinet for the entire period without having their engine cover lifted off, so these says I try to do a tidy job with the covered parts of the engine bay, rather than spend extra effort.
Photos very follow very soon.
I'm pushing ahead trying to get as much spraying done as I can. I'm getting laser eye surgery in a week's time and won't be spraying for a couple of weeks after that, but hopefully my vision will be good enough after a few days to work on non-spraying activities.
I'm trying to plan this thing to still achieve the deadline, I think I'm ok with it so far.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Great start & I enjoyed your story ...terrific write-up ! :D

nmasahiko
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by nmasahiko »

Have you tried to use Tamiya's TS83 Metal silver? I want to try to use it for wheel of 88C.

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Hi there,
No I haven't seen it in the shops here yet, nor TS-85 for the F60 when I finally get to it.
Has anyone else had a go ?
I'm always interested in new metallics. I've recently been experimenting with Andrea Vallejo acrylics for this purpose also.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

nmasahiko
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by nmasahiko »

tonym wrote:Hi there,
No I haven't seen it in the shops here yet, nor TS-85 for the F60 when I finally get to it.
Has anyone else had a go ?
I'm always interested in new metallics. I've recently been experimenting with Andrea Vallejo acrylics for this purpose also.
Cheers
Tony
Tamiya's metal silver is expensive than their regular color spray.
It's 1,400 yen in Japan. :shock:

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to run a bit late with this build, unfortunately. I had a spot of eye surgery 3 weeks ago, and I'm told my close up vision will not return fully for another month or two. I'm finding that I just can't see well enough to make a lot of progress, although there are some basic things that I can do.
I'll keep fiddling with those things, but I'm now sure I will run late.
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted: