Shops in Tokyo and Kyoto

Info on hobby shops.

Topic author
amszterpeter
Formula e
Formula e

Shops in Tokyo and Kyoto

Post by amszterpeter »

Recently visited Tokyo and Kyoto, unfortunately only had a few hours to hunt for goodies.
I was surprised that the ultimate gadget source of electronica and hobbies, Yodobashi Camera Akiba and their Kyoto store, had a lot of kits, but a very limited selection of add-on items. Few decals and PE kits were on a rack. However B's Hobby shop in Kyoto was much better and their tool, paint, glue, etc., selection was the best I ever saw anywhere. They had a respectable kit and reading selection. I was also surprised that their best discounts were about 10% at any of the places, so actually HLJ have better mail order discounts if your shipping costs stay reasonable.
Peter

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Shops in Tokyo and Kyoto

Post by Eagle50 »

Good summary of what it's like here. As you suggest, Yodobashi (in Akihabara, Tokyo) is the biggest shop. But you've got to go to Auto Modeli GT (Asakusa, Tokyo), or Yellow Submarine (Akihabara, Tokyo) to get add-on items. But even then, their selection can be limited. Best to order ahead before you go. Or just order stuff online.

Cheers,
Chris

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

I used to enjoy shopping at Mr. Craft,Yellow Submarine Shinjuku branch, and Be-J in Kichijoji because of a large stock of add-on sets, decals, spare parts, and domestic and import reference books.
Unfortunately, all those stores closed long ago, and no one seems to have picked up the same business practice, so a large stock of aftermarket items is probably not sustainable.

F1Xena
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Tania
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jordan
New Zealand

Post by F1Xena »

I've noticed Yodobashi becoming relatively more expensive over the last few years. I normally trawl Akihabara on my visits starting at Yodobashi and then moving down towards Ueno station via Asobit, Volks, Yellow Submarine and Tam Tam. If I have time I pop over to Automodelli GT, and also a multi story bookstore behind Yodobashi that always has the latest F1Modelling and Joe Honda books. Being a "shopper" I enjoy comparing prices before buying and for kits it is often Asobit and Tam Tam that have been coming out on top.
For after market goodies, both their own, Sakatsu and Studio 27, MFH store Barchetta always have a good selection. Most of my recent visits to Tokyo have been time critical, so it means either Akihabara or Barchetta, but unfortunately not both!
I haven't been to Tokyo for a couple of months, so am starting to feel withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully next month.....
Cheers
Tania
The four building blocks of the Universe are fire, water, styrene and white-metal.

herberr
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Herber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
United States of America

Post by herberr »

I am on vacation in Tokyo for two weeks. F1Xena, you mentioned 'a multi story bookstore behind Yodobashi that always has the latest F1Modelling and Joe Honda books.'

Do you still know the name of that bookstore? Or is it the Shosen Book Tower? Am looking for Joe Honda book while in Tokyo.

F1Xena
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Tania
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jordan
New Zealand

Post by F1Xena »

Hi, yes, it is the Shosen book tower. Think it’s the 5th floor. Top of the escalator is the model magazines, both straight ahead, and to the hard left. The Joe Honda books, and F1Modeling, are with the car magazines, further around. Look for a book stand beside the end aisle, that’s where the Joe Honda books were last time I was there (a few months ago) You will know it is the right floor as it is all aircraft/car/motorcycle/military. To the right at the top of the escalator is all the railway stuff.
Good luck, and enjoy :shock: :D
The four building blocks of the Universe are fire, water, styrene and white-metal.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

A visit to MFH might be the best way to get some Joe Honda books, depending on what they still have in stock. You could tour the manufacturing spaces, meet the Hiros and their wonderful workers, see some kits being made, and have a great afternoon -- while getting some Joe Honda books. If you'll be in Tokyo, why not?

Cheers, Chris

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Visiting MFH was an out-of-body modeling experience. Every decal and photoetch imaginable, plus tons of Joe Honda. Finishers by Ueno also is a great visit. A tiny store, but a great selection (1/43 as well) and many reference books.

herberr
Formula e
Formula e
United States of America

Post by herberr »

F1Xena wrote:Hi, yes, it is the Shosen book tower. Think it’s the 5th floor. Top of the escalator is the model magazines, both straight ahead, and to the hard left. The Joe Honda books, and F1Modeling, are with the car magazines, further around. Look for a book stand beside the end aisle, that’s where the Joe Honda books were last time I was there (a few months ago) You will know it is the right floor as it is all aircraft/car/motorcycle/military. To the right at the top of the escalator is all the railway stuff.
Good luck, and enjoy :shock: :D
Thanks a lot for your advise. Will post what I found there when back in 3 weeks. Am pretty sure I'll have a good time there. Will both go for a search on Joe Honda books, and Aero Detail books to feed my aircraft collection. During my last visit I bought some good used books at Leonardo LG which is a 15 mins walk from Shosen. And they have great vintage kits too.

herberr
Formula e
Formula e
United States of America

Post by herberr »

Eagle50 wrote:A visit to MFH might be the best way to get some Joe Honda books, depending on what they still have in stock. You could tour the manufacturing spaces, meet the Hiros and their wonderful workers, see some kits being made, and have a great afternoon -- while getting some Joe Honda books. If you'll be in Tokyo, why not?

Cheers, Chris
Thanks Chris, hope the family allows me to go there. My two daughters are totally into Anime so it was an easy sell to visit Akihabara.

I assume the subway brings me close to MFH?