McLaren MP4/21 test and race version

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

McLaren MP4/21 test and race version

Post by Dalin1 »

Hello all,
hope it is not too late to join the 2009 Group Build.
I have started a while ago, back in March already, but I am pretty slow in progress. Partly because I'm extremely lazy, partly because I am trying to correct some major Studio27 kit's drawbacks and mistakes.
The "6" is in 2006 year when the car raced, also Kimi's 6th year in F1, and Juan Pablo leaving F1 after 6 years...
I am working on two cars, the orange test version and race chrome car.
Starting the kit I realised that side "chimneys" made from white metal are useless for me, as to drill a hole inside to make it look more realistic is just impossible. Also the shape looked a bit weird to me, so I decided to scratchbuild them using copper sheet. Result is quite nice and then it was also possible to achieve having chimneys different on each car.
IMG_9787.JPG
Drilling excessive resin from everywhere it should not be took quite a while but was not that tough job, here you see one car already drilled, another still in original shape.
IMG_9780small.JPG
Also the side winglets were semi-scratchbuilt using the copper sheet, as the originals were one piece WM, practically useless... Unfortunately I do not have a photo yet of the winglets :-)
Scratchbuilding those parts was extremely tough for me, achieving same shape on the both sides of the car is important as parts are visible and made the job very hard.

Test car was slightly different, here you see preparations for a new shape of the engine cover. Studio27 did not care too much about the differences of test-race cars and just changed the decals... :-(
IMG_0276b.JPG
Here you see both cars prepared, with side chimneys already in place (again a tough job to shape them to get in-line with the car's sides.
Still some puttying and sanding to be done.
IMG_0387.jpg
Rear wing endplates - another bad job by kit producer, the upper openings in endplates were not through the plate and thus I decided to scratchbuild again using copper sheet, thicker this time (0.3mm). Will look better after puttying and sanding. Also the adjusting holes for wing drag are made, Studio27 naver makes them on kits.
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
And this is where I am at the moment, started to spray colour paint, unfortunately my orange paint dried out after spraying just one cover, probably failed to close it properly. Thus I decided to go for a race car, here you see both cars, orange with one cover of paint only, the race car with black base paint.
IMG_0722.JPG
And this is the chrome test paint on part of the rear wing. Looks much better in reality, photo makes it look not that good. I quite satisfied with this test paint, hope the final lacquer will not ruin it. I did a test chrome before and the final clear cote made it look like a aluminum rather than chrome... A mistake was probably spraying the clear over chrome too fast. Found out a user guide on Zero paint page then, explaining that you should leave chrome at least for 48 hours before clear coating it. Not sure why they don't write it on the paint glass :-(

Comments and advices welcome!

Dalin
Last edited by Dalin1 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: McLaren MP4/21 test and race version

Post by Dalin1 »

Adding he chrome test paint pic...
IMG_0728.JPG

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

The problem is that the chrome effect is lost when clearcoting.. but then you need to clearcoat to protect the decals :( very tricky. Have the kit myself but have not started it because of the paint problem..

Are you using alclad paint or?.
Are the engravings on your kit bad to?.. mine looks lika a child has made them.

Nice work so far :)

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Robban wrote:The problem is that the chrome effect is lost when clearcoting.. but then you need to clearcoat to protect the decals :( very tricky. Have the kit myself but have not started it because of the paint problem..

Are you using alclad paint or?.
Are the engravings on your kit bad to?.. mine looks lika a child has made them.

Nice work so far :)
Hello,
will have to make several more tests probably on the chrome... I still hope the chrome will settle after a few days and the clear coat wont ruin it then... Using Zero chrome, think Alclad is impossible to clear coat.

As for the engraving, yes the seams were horrible. Took me several hours to repair, but they look quite good now. At the places where side "chimneys" touch the sidepods I had to fill them with putty and make new seams on a few places, but it turned out quite good.
Still far to go with the kits.

Dalin

builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Nice work so far.
There are several Chrome tests on the auto forums and some on the aircraft forums with some good ideas and methods to get the best results.
From my own experience using a bright/glossy black was key to getting the best result.
Anytime I cleared a chrome on a test it knocked the shine off.
But for the 4/22 it made it more correct with the finish I got.
The 4/21 had a mirror finish and will be fun to see how you get that.
Chris
Chris
My personal site

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

That looks great, can't wait to see the chrome paint on the body!

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Had some progress.
The orange car looks good, I am almost satisfied with the progress so far, the chrome is somewhat worse and disappointing for me, I had a few issues with clear over it, not only that it ruins the chrome effect but also the second coat of clear melted on a few places. Had mixed luck repairing it, it is visible in two or three places :-(
Otherwise, the car look nice, not chrome, but like a polished aluminum, I like it but it is not exactly what I wanted to see.

Leaving to do some trekking in Himalayas tomorrow, hope to make more progress then, though I will probably have to give up making it done before the F1 season ends...
pub1.JPG
pub2.JPG

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Very nice work you did. Respect for the effort to improve those chimneys etc on the S27 kit!

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

This is a fantastic pair of subjects your working on. Some of us have a hard enough time just to finish one kit. That is a nice extra efforts. You must be using a good airbrush, the finish on the orange looks super smooth.

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

awesome work on these kits! I really like the orange McLaren 8)