BAR003 - GB2009

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

BAR003 - GB2009

Post by BigDuke6 »

Quick start to the WIP before the 3rd round of the season:

Kit/Car : BAR 003
Brand : Studio27
Scale : 1/20
ow this kit links to the theme : Finished 6th in WCC & 6th at Monza in 2001 + 6 speed gearbox (a bit lame but better than nothing)

Brakes before & after, I've polished the calipers to make a change from the usual gold and to stand out against the black wheels.

Body with primer & scribed panel lines ready for sanding & white. I'm trying Manu's trick of attaching the suspension prior to painting.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: BAR003 - GB2009

Post by CaptainMark »

Man I love these resin kits, and the second pic especially brings back some good memories... they're a complete b@st*rd to build of course, but I always feel so good when I get one completed.

Will be watching with interest!
Image Image

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hey,
Cool to see this being built. This was my first multi-media kit I built. I like the little aero tricks, makes it unique, but not as much stuff as the cars through 2008. I sent you all my pictures, I hope they're helpful. My references were F1 Modeling mags. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Front suspension has had some Museum Collection carbon applied... lots of decal softener required and still needs a layer of "smoke" to tone down the silver, but an overall good result so far. (first time with museum collection and not S27 or SMS carbon).

Seat has been covered in SMS carbon as has the rear suspension.

You can see the template on the exhaust area for use later when applying carbon decals. Progressing nicely with lots of CF work remaining on the various parts such as cameras, suspension, wings, etc etc etc

Thanks for looking & thanks Chris for the pics!

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Strange water droplets.. it's quite cold here in Sydney and these small droplets formed on the surface after painting. They went away and didn't leave any marks - odd..

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Decals are on the wings, body & undertray - Next up is the CF suspension day & wing end plates - Holes drilled in the body for some Scale Hardware rivets too.

Edit: Anyone gone to spray clear and accidentially picked up a solid colour... for example: White? :evil: :evil: BAR003 = boomerang or perhaps some soft of carbon test car =(

(screenshots pre catastrophic failure)

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

oh no, are you saying it's ruined?

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:oh no, are you saying it's ruined?
It was looking pretty good - but after closer inspection it's perhaps not completely ruined. I managed to get most of the white "overspray" off with a quick application of acrylic thinners, however in the process have lost a decal or two. The main one being the sidepod "Lucky Strike" logo and main logo on the side of the tub.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

BigDuke6 wrote:
Mr.Grumpy wrote:oh no, are you saying it's ruined?
It was looking pretty good - but after closer inspection it's perhaps not completely ruined. I managed to get most of the white "overspray" off with a quick application of acrylic thinners, however in the process have lost a decal or two. The main one being the sidepod "Lucky Strike" logo and main logo on the side of the tub.
Oh boy, NFG!!
Interesting you bring this up. Having accidentally put the wrong color on cars, before spraying, I check the color label on the side of the can, as I've put the wrong cap on cans leading to issues. Not as detrimental as this though, I'm so sorry.

I'm sure Villeneuve hit someone with the car, can the decals be covered with impact damage?
I think your idea of the cf test car sounds a lot cooler, though.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Small update - front suspension test fit + rear mid-wing & rear crash structure. Box exhausts are a bit bland and cry out for being replaced with after market rod.