2009 Group Build: Shadow DN5

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

2009 Group Build: Shadow DN5

Post by Steffen_T »

So here is my contribution for the 2009 Group Build:

The Shadow DN5

The kit is an old Iritani kit and includes some Tamiya parts to represent the DFV engine. Other parts are made of white metal and resin:

There are two areas on this car crying for scratch building: The air intake on the nose:

And the airbox:

The model should represent the car driven by Tom Pryce in the Race of Champions 1975:
Photo by Rob Ryder from AtlasF1

I have started to work on the rearwing endplates which I won't simply glue onto the main wing element, but fix it additionally with rivets. I have already drilled a few holes for them:

A little accessoires for the car is nearly finished: :mrgreen:

That's it for now. Thank you for looking!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: 2009 Group Build: Shadow DN5

Post by Icon_Modeler »

You know, You may want to get a set of replacment decals for this build as the original set looks quite bad. You may be able to get those from Indycals. Indycals did the decals for the Bill Jorgeson transkit of this car a few years ago so he may be able to help you out, not sure though.

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Hello Icon Modeler,

thank you for the advice. I will use the Jarier decals to test if the decal sheet is still useable. But I am worried about the decals as well. Are there any pictures of the Indycals decal sheet or a finished Bill Jorgeson Shadow available?
Shadow changed the layout of the UOP decals several times during the 1975 season, so it would be good to know if the Indycals sheet has all the decals I need for the RoC version.

Steffen

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

Love the Shadow - looking forward to seeing this one built up.

Indycals version at:

http://www.indycals.net/Decals/Shadow.html

cdbx
F3
F3

Post by cdbx »

Shadow has always been one of my favorite builders..I'll def be watching! Good luck!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

Indycals are great but the Iritani decals are probably fine. My sheet looked like that when I built mine a few years ago. Luckily it's a black car so the discoloration of the decal film didn't show at all. Just trim them close. They also give you double white decals so nothing bleeds through. It was my first resin kit and I really enjoyed it. Nice job on Tom's helmet.

Mark

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi all!
A bit of progress has been done on my Shadow since the last post.

First of all there is a lot of sanding to be done on the resin parts in this kit and I am not yet finished with it.
In order to give the high airbox a bit stability once it is glue on I added two pices of brass wire:

I have sanded the lower nose part away and opened the two air intakes. As soon as the are ready I will glue a piece of styrene under the car to make the nose more realistic:

The Tamiya parts had more sinkingmarks as usual. I had to fill them with putty:

And now the rearwing!
The connection area between the rearwing support and the main element was modified in the same way as the airbox to give it more stability:

I have made new endingplates out of styrene which will be fixed with 10 MFH rivets on each side:

Thanks to that it became possible to to cut the upper wing element from the main element:

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the decals. I received the Indycals replacement decals yesterday.
More in my next update.
Thank you for looking! :D

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Very well done...Good tips also..I will keep them for when I start mine..

Keep on building,
Alex Nahooy.

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Time for the next update! :mrgreen:
The windscreen on the DN5 was fitted to the cockpit surrounding with screws, as can be seen on this picture:
In total there are 9 screws.

The instruction of this Iritani kit has a template for the screen. I made myself a few copies of the side, cutted a template out and placed it on the car body after I had marked the positions of the screws:

The marked positions of the screws were my guide to drill the holes:
I will continue here later.

The Airbox was also modified. I sanded the sides of the airintake away and removed a lot of resin to make it deeper:

In the next step styrene was glued on each side and the gaps were filled with putty:

The other side of the airbox after a bit of sanding:

The airbox is not fixed yet, but you get a good impression how the shape looks now with opened air intakes:

I have made a comparison between the original kit decals and the Indycals decals for the Shadow. It may look a bit rough, but I just wanted to find out which decals are the better ones. On top you see an Iritani decal and bellow the same decal from Indycals. The point clearly goes to Indycals. They are thinner and not translucent.

The wheels are ready now:

That's it for now. Thank you for looking.

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

Yikes ! A bit of sanding indeed! And a black car too!

Looking good to date ......... hang in there!

Good luck and ........

Cheers,

-elh-