2009 Goup Build Starting From The Pits

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 2009 Goup Build Starting From The Pits

Post by alexpayne »

Hi, Looking really good so far,I never used to test build resin kits but it helps to get wing and ride height set before you spray.
Good luck with the rest of the build,Alexp.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Nice looking! :) and chosing the low wing (never raced) version makes it unique.
But don't you think you should show as also that early JS17? ;-)

Topic author
waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Post by waxdart »

Just a quick update as to where I'm at on this build. Got most of the painting done today. About ready to decal. Was wet sanding the rear wing end plate over the sink when it slipped out of my hand and went down the garbage disposal. I know better, but hey it's USUALLY quicker to be stupid. Luckily my wife had mentioned that I could use a stick of gum after a morning smooch...so I stuck the gum on the end of a tooth bush and went fishing. Got It! Anyone know if the roll hoop structure was carbon fibre or just painted black?

As requested here are a couple of shots of my JS17. Ever have one of those kits that just click together....this hasn't been one. To start I guess I still had some of the bad batch Alclad as it just would never dry. This kit is also the reason I figured to test build in the future. I'm sure all the fit problems I'm having are operator error and would have been caught during a test build. Silly stuff like the roll hoop being to small by just a smidge so "just push it a little" and ping nice chunk of paint flies off. I have repair the paint but got sidetracked by the Williams and another of Paul Fisher's racing Sea Furys. Will get back to it fairly soon. Cheers, Tim Keily

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Those are both very nice looking machines. I have two of the FW12's just so I could build one with the low wing. I love the way it looks. That JS17 looks very clean. Love your paint work.

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by waxdart »

Slow progress with long days at work , but progress none the less. Really struggling with the carbon fibre decals. Strange as doing decals is to me the favorite part of modeling. The decals both Modelers and Scale Motor Sports are very brittle. I'm going to chalk it up to very old sheets and order some fresh ones. I've seen some of you folks make nearly impossible bends with CF decals so it can't be operator error??? :wink: The kit decals were a dream to work with. Cheers, Tim Keily

LeoH

Post by LeoH »

Looks real nice. Like the Focke Wolfe in the background too. BMW engine power.

Lee

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great! but a little warning: tip of nosecone, currently white under the wing, must be blue also!
Otherwie, this shows good looks :)

Topic author
waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by waxdart »

Yep, still have a decal for the nose tip, you guys don't miss a thing. The Focke Wulf is actually a Bf-109 so it is McLaren powered..er Daimler Benz. :D Thanks, Tim

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi, Both kits look very good and the paint/decal finish is superb. With regard to carbon fibre,on SMS decal I use Microsol only,soak it well and after a couple of minutes dry out with a hairdrier and apply more Microsol if needed.
Regards,alexp.

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

waxdart wrote:Just a quick update as to where I'm at on this build. Got most of the painting done today. About ready to decal. Was wet sanding the rear wing end plate over the sink when it slipped out of my hand and went down the garbage disposal. I know better, but hey it's USUALLY quicker to be stupid. Luckily my wife had mentioned that I could use a stick of gum after a morning smooch...so I stuck the gum on the end of a tooth bush and went fishing. Got It! Anyone know if the roll hoop structure was carbon fibre or just painted black?

As requested here are a couple of shots of my JS17. Ever have one of those kits that just click together....this hasn't been one. To start I guess I still had some of the bad batch Alclad as it just would never dry. This kit is also the reason I figured to test build in the future. I'm sure all the fit problems I'm having are operator error and would have been caught during a test build. Silly stuff like the roll hoop being to small by just a smidge so "just push it a little" and ping nice chunk of paint flies off. I have repair the paint but got sidetracked by the Williams and another of Paul Fisher's racing Sea Furys. Will get back to it fairly soon. Cheers, Tim Keily

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr ................. that Talbot is LOVELY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

-elh-