f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Grrr... small gripe.

Post by f1m »

I will need to see if DiskWarrior (a MacOS disk tool) does it magic on SSDs... most likely it will.
sky1911 wrote:On the SSD longevity. I am not sure if there are tools like this for Macs as well, for PC there are tools like CrystalDiskInfo that will show you the S.M.A.R.T. data of the disk (HDDs and SSDs)
including temperature, errors, non-fixable errors, ect. Keeping an eye on those is a good way of knowing when the time is up. SSDs tend to go slower over time as the "cells" wear out. So
there should be some sort of warning in the performance. But mostly that is due to heavy writing and reading activity, which under normal circumstances should not be an issue. I've had
to SSDs run as a raid0 for a couple of years - no issues until I replaced them with something faster (M2 SSD).

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Depending on the age of what you have/had, a laptop likely is just as fast for what you want to do.I ran a hackintosh with my wife's system for a bit, it was a pain to setup but once it was, it was set.

SSD's are such a huge upgrade, and act just like HDD when they die. There is technically a limited life, but spinning disks have similar problems and are also a ton slower. The drives all have monitoring as well which will tell you if there is an issue most of the time before it actually occurs.

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

I really hate working on laptops. I don't need the portability, I need a large screen and plenty of RAM and disk space. The cost / performance is just not there...if I were to spec out something close to my work computer, we're talking $2800 for the MacBook Pro (with 32GB RAM) plus I'd need a 27" monitor which for a 5K LG monitor runs $1200.

A 27" 5K iMac with a 3TB drive would run $2300, I'd add the RAM myself which is cheaper...

Anyway....

stubeck wrote:Depending on the age of what you have/had, a laptop likely is just as fast for what you want to do.I ran a hackintosh with my wife's system for a bit, it was a pain to setup but once it was, it was set.