MFH 1/12 for April.

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Re: MFH 1/12 for April.

Post by MoFo »

Terry wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:43 pm Lotus 88. First F1 car with carbon tub, and the scrutineering sticker even matches the one on the actual car...
Je ne regrette rien.

59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

Post by 59hrld »

That looks very like a Lotus 88 to me…..
My wallet is not happy, but if it is the 88 imam!!

Richard

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

I applaud Mr Hiro for his passion for the sport, and his love of modeling, but sometimes I personally question his subjects if he is really interested in making a profit from them. The Lotus 88 never raced, it was a clever idea to skirt (no pun intended) the 1981 ban on sliding skirts, as was the universally adopted, ridiculous rising suspension that Gordon Murray came up with. There was nothing more absurd than watching the cars on track, and then when they entered the pit lane seeing the car magically rise to legal ride hight. It was embarrassing to see that brilliant aerodynamicists & engineers were reducing themselves to pulling stunts like these.
I remember many iconic F1 seasons, I’ve never considered 1981 as one of them, between the skirt regulations and the attempts to circumvent them, and the FOCA vs FISA war, it was a ****-show. GV’s two iconic wins at Monaco & Jarama salvaged what was a mostly forgettable season that ended with Lole crumbling at the biggest moment of his career, and Piquet taking the title, having to be to be physically held help in the Caesar’s Palace parking lot after finishing fifth. Hardly memories of the gods stuff!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

ronnie1972 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am I applaud Mr Hiro for his passion for the sport, and his love of modeling, but sometimes I personally question his subjects if he is really interested in making a profit from them. The Lotus 88 never raced, it was a clever idea to skirt (no pun intended) the 1981 ban on sliding skirts, as was the universally adopted, ridiculous rising suspension that Gordon Murray came up with. There was nothing more absurd than watching the cars on track, and then when they entered the pit lane seeing the car magically rise to legal ride hight. It was embarrassing to see that brilliant aerodynamicists & engineers were reducing themselves to pulling stunts like these.
I remember many iconic F1 seasons, I’ve never considered 1981 as one of them, between the skirt regulations and the attempts to circumvent them, and the FOCA vs FISA war, it was a ****-show. GV’s two iconic wins at Monaco & Jarama salvaged what was a mostly forgettable season that ended with Lole crumbling at the biggest moment of his career, and Piquet taking the title, having to be to be physically held help in the Caesar’s Palace parking lot after finishing fifth. Hardly memories of the gods stuff!

All you say here makes it an iconic car :) ...it was different, controversional and forbidden, what a story !!

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

Ah well. My wallet safe for another month or two!

A "niche" choice I would say - but good luck to MFH with it. Great colour scheme of course.

At least they have the DFV and Hewland parts from numerous other releases.

(Does anyone actually build MFH DFVs with the working internals? Has anyone actually got the crank to turn more than twice before breaking?)

Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

The Lotus 88 is a no-brainer for MFH. Most all of the cost to produce a low-volume kit is design/development. They've already done all the design in 1/20 for both the Essex 88 and the JPS 88b. They just need to click a couple of menu's to scale it up, making a few changes where needed. In the past they changed very little on their scale-ups. It's also a very cool subject and one of the best kits MFH ever designed (IMHO based on salivating over my unstarted 1/20 88b).

fangio
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by fangio »

ronnie1972 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am I applaud Mr Hiro for his passion for the sport, and his love of modeling, but sometimes I personally question his subjects if he is really interested in making a profit from them.
He’s widely quoted as saying that product decisions are made based on ‘what I like’. A bit like Peter Jackson and Wingnut Wings…. There is no market research - he creates kits of subjects he wants kits of.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

I'm all in on two of them, One of each, The 88 and the 88B. Watched the 88 at Long Beach. The car was a brilliant piece engineering kit and should have never been banned!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

I will order the 88 for sure :)

Alex.

59hrld
F1 Test Driver