Cutting panels tricks to lose as minimum material as possible

For all F1 scale model news...

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Re: Cutting panels tricks to lose as minimum material as possible

Post by MoFo »

The JLC saws are amazing and I can't recommend them highly enough - I couldn't build without them - but I don't know how they'd do on Tamiya's metal. They'll work on white metal, but Tamiya probably used Zamac, which will be harder to cut.
Je ne regrette rien.

notime4me
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by notime4me »

You need a jeweller's saw. There are very thin blades available (1/43rd guys use them to open hoods and doors) and they will cut metal easily.
Attachments
Basic+Adjustable+Jewellers+Saw+for+piercing+metal+and+fretwork.jpg

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

In addition to the standard jewellers saw, there is an alternate saw with much greater finesse available.

Green Lion saws are not exactly cheap so don't treat it like a hacksaw, but an old friend showed me this particular saw a while ago and I've been totally sold on it. Green Lion saws use the same fine blades as the saw which notime3me has indicated earlier, but these Green Lion saws are much better quality.

https://www.greenlionstudios.com/jewelers-saw-frame

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Paul_OFarrell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:19 pm Hi All,

In addition to the standard jewellers saw, there is an alternate saw with much greater finesse available.

Green Lion saws are not exactly cheap so don't treat it like a hacksaw, but an old friend showed me this particular saw a while ago and I've been totally sold on it. Green Lion saws use the same fine blades as the saw which notime3me has indicated earlier, but these Green Lion saws are much better quality.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.
Paul, thank you for reminding me of jewelers saws. It just went right by me.

I have had a jewelers saw for long time that I use for cutting sheet stock for some of my brass and aluminum parts. They are designed for non-ferrous metals like diecast models and have extremely thin and fine toothed blades. It is the perfect tool for what is being discussed.
Unlike your "classic" jewelers frame, I got mine from a company here in California who has redesigned the tool using new materials and technology to make a "high tech" version of your saw that is much stiffer and capable of putting much more tension on the blade without warping. I highly recommend them. They have a lever action tensioner that allow you to release and retention the blade to release it to do inside cutting.

Here is their website.https://www.knewconcepts.com/jewelers-s ... -tools.php

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

PeteJ wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:24 am
Paul_OFarrell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:19 pm Hi All,

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.
Paul, thank you for reminding me of jewelers saws. It just went right by me.

I have had a jewelers saw for long time that I use for cutting sheet stock for some of my brass and aluminum parts. They are designed for non-ferrous metals like diecast models and have extremely thin and fine toothed blades. It is the perfect tool for what is being discussed.

Unlike your "classic" jewelers frame, I got mine from a company here in California who has redesigned the tool using new materials and technology to make a "high tech" version of your saw that is much stiffer and capable of putting much more tension on the blade without warping. I highly recommend them. They have a lever action tensioner that allow you to release and retention the blade to release it to do inside cutting. They also make a variety of throat depths to handle a wide range of jobs. I have a 5" depth but I could see the 3" being easier to handle in many cases.

Here is their website.https://www.knewconcepts.com/jewelers-s ... -tools.php

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Thanks a lot for your help!!