WOW new F1 (not kits) cheap collection (argh... 1/24!)

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

WOW new F1 (not kits) cheap collection (argh... 1/24!)

Post by JamesB »

Saw it in another post...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32008&p=346665#p346665 Thanks Tommy!! 8)
...and thought it just deserved its own thread, as it's a piece of good news let's face it.
NEW COLLECTION OF BUILT F1 MODELS AT GOOD PRICE AND BIG SCALE!!! NOT THE CHEESY 1/43 WE'VE SEEN BEFORE!!!

https://www.centauria.it/shop/collezion ... formula-1/
Yes at last they did. What's the thing that makes it NOT perfect... hmmmmm they are 1/24!!! :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll:
Yes I know there's a part of us that will be quite happy, specially those who like the 1/24 scale.
I would surely prefer 1/20. But well, we had dreamt of WRC good diecasts at 1/24 for decades and it finally happened. Its gotta be said, after a failure of try at 1/18!!
Who knows, I'll keep an eye on them and might like to get the "modern" models at that scale.
Your thoughts, guys?
J

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Re: WOW new F1 (not kits) cheap collection (argh... 1/24!)

Post by F1tommy »

I think popularity in Italy, Portugal, Spain, France and Germany of 1/43rd and 1/24th drove the newstand (No VAT) streetcar Hachette series and now they are branching out into full race cars.
The Hachette owner was from Portugal originally and is friends with Fernando Pinto(atleast Fernando worked for them before starting FPPM).

The BIG series is the WRC Rally wich is huge with many great cars never before done in 1/24th scale(and better quality than Tamiya, sorry. Look at the R5 Turbo MC winner. It's alot better than Tamiya's ). They also have a Lemans series that tested and the Gulf GT40 is much better in every way than the Fujimi kit. Now the F1 series is going and the quality on some of the cars is good to great. The BT46B Fancar looks pretty nice. We will see. To be honest a constant scale series makes more sense than 1/24th all cars except F1 in 1/20th. Stupid idea. Now you can compare size with real cars. The cartoon modern F1 cars look pretty silly sitting next to R5 Turbo for example. 60 F1 cars planned so far. Cry or join the party :)

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

By the way, they are releasing some of the 1/24th rally cars under White Box now. In the USA the big diecast stores are doing their best to not carry any of them with their 1/18th fixation!!

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Hmmm.... I supose that there are more aternatives than crying or joining. :wink: :D It´s probably due to some insistence when the 1-18 came out tat they did the 1-24 WRC.
I don´t understand very well the reasoning on the overall uniform scale.
1-20 is the standard for F1 since 4 decades ago, that´s a fact. There s no reason to compare an F1 with a touring car. They look from different planets regardless the F1 is at 1-20 or 1-24. Consider a bike... its natural scale gotta be between 1/9 and 1/12.. and the better, no doubt, is 1/12.
1-20 looks really better than 1-24 for F1. Single seaters feel a bit skinny at 24. Surely we´d get used to 24... but for ages 1-20 has outnumbered the 24s. And now there´s no way back. See ships. 1/600th guys remained faithful to that till 1/700th outnumbered and offered much more quality and accessories. That has not happened with F1. All 1/24 plastic kits efforts have sadly gotten into a dead line, no continuity.
Quality? I am in the middle of both "wow they're gonna be awesone like the WRC" and "Nah, they are poor diecasts". Surely a diecast can be really good. The ones Tamiya did were almost level with plastic models. The trickiest thing is they are hard to modify. But better than nothing.
Hmm, about the WRC series being better than Tamiay well, it's a bit of a grey instead of black/white thing. Better than a 40 years old plastic model? well they should be!!
But honestly speaking the 205 T16 is not better than the Tamiya one... and its a 26 years old model!
IMHO they went to town with bodyworks of light color cars, as panel lines will show up, and were a bit more bland with those with dark lveries. The 037, The Celica, the 205, show really good bodyworks. Nice shapes, no shortcuts due to casting problems, and nice panel lines. Neither those half mile thick ones, nor those bland, just insinuated, as on cheap modern 1/43 diecasts.
There are, though, some things that suggest they might have contacted some experienced modelers so not to make mistakes. On the 205, the aerospatiale sticker seems to ave been confused with a vent hole :shock: :shock: :shock: and the system used for the "mirror" chrome sun shield on windows is a bad joke, and impossible to fix. No suspensions, and engine interior in Gr B cars is a bit "ahem".
THat said, they are a joy for the collector, no doubt.
Ans SURELY these 60 F1 will be like CHRISTMAS for the 1/24 collectors. They well might thing, OK, we had to win some time!!! I respect the ones chosing 1/24. Among other things (modeling wise it's the same) they have to fight much greater difficulties than those making 1/20.
Just that I do love CHRISTMAS and I'd also like it to be CHRISTMAS for us the 1/20 guys... :wink: :wink:

PS: I have a good amont of 1/24, be it diecasts or plastic models, I fought wth myself about what to do. Seems this collection will help me taking a decison! 8)

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

They seem to get the bodywork and shapes very well but as you say on some the engines are not very detailed. They also have no opening parts. Some Tamiya's are better, but they didn't make nearly as many as Hachette. The Tamiya R5 was motorized so it's not that great compared to the Hachette. Also Beemax is much better on chassis detail on the WRC cars.

With the F1M philosophy we should start new scales, maybe 1/39th and 1/9th for F1 and keep the rest of the cars 1/43rd and 1/12th. In 30-40 years it will be good because constant scale does not matter. :) I am trying to show you have a bias now.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

F1tommy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:37 am With the F1M philosophy we should start new scales, maybe 1/39th and 1/9th for F1 and keep the rest of the cars 1/43rd and 1/12th. In 30-40 years it will be good because constant scale does not matter. :) I am trying to show you have a bias now.
me, a bias? 8) trying yes, but honestly failing. It's not an "F1M" philosophy at all. Just my opinion. An who talked about more scales? that's not the point, and honestly looks an unuseful argument. 1/20 has earned its place, for 4 decades and a half. As 1/12 for bikes. They are not weird or caprice scales.
I just wanted a thread about what I think is a good news. Not a discussion about what scale is better. Honestly everyone of us have already a well entitled opinion about that.