PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Re-release Scale Motorsport Porsche 935 1/12 set

Post by PeteJ »

It appears to me that some are confusing limited production run with the term "limited edition". To me limited edition implies some form of value imparted by the rarity of the item. When SMS refers to a limited production run, that is just what it means. They are going to produce a limited number. It is not going to be a regular stock item. No suggestion of future collectability or increase in value to collectors. Having said that the first run price in the secondary market went up significantly once SMS sold out. The most recent one I saw sold for $799, and I have seen them go over $1,000. It is worth that? It is to someone.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

The fact that a handflul trade on the secondary market for $700+ doesn't mean that a reissue will sell 500 copies at the same price.

I get the feeling someone doesn't understand how eBay works. I also get the feeling that SMS will either be sitting on a ton of unsold kits or else slashing prices to recoup some of their costs. I wonder what the margins are for them...
Je ne regrette rien.

seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

I have registered my interest with SMS but I’m not going to pay silly money.
People with more money than sense have been going mad in my opinion - and yes I wish I was one of them :lol:
I always remember not that long back when the Tamiya McLaren M23 1/20 kit was OOP and folks were asking & paying ludicrous amounts for the ki, I distinctly remember one ebay auction ending at over £200 for that kit. Then low and behold it gets re-issued and the prices plummet and you can now get it everywhere for less than £50. This same thing is happening now with the SF70H kit, there is a thread on another forum talking about that kit and people are saying exactly the same thing :roll:

At the end of the day obviously peeps can ask what they like when selling anything, if numpties or the fat walleted brigade are willing to pay what they ask. Happy to say I’m not one of them. :wink:

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I’m building this kit right now

But will not pat that money for the re release, barely worth the original price

And people complain about MFH pricing

Wow

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

The price doesn’t surprise me when you factor in inflation. Also, it’s always better to price at the high end. You pick up the ‘must have’ customers and then, over time, you can reduce the price if the volume of sales isn’t there. I hope SM does well with this product. It’s a miracle they are even still in business.

I won’t buy it simply because the value to ME just isn’t there. But that is a personal feeling and I don’t dare extrapolate that feeling to other modelers.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I recall similar remarks about the price when the original kit came out, yet SMS sold them all in a matter of a couple of years. If you think the price is ridiculous then you are not the intended market, but thinking that there are 550 modelers world wide who would pay that price is quite reasonable regardless of your or my personal feelings about the set.

Personally, I loved building it. So much so that I did it twice. Frankly, it was the pinnacle of my building career. The level of detail that you can get with this model is amazing, but it takes a personal commitment of years to complete. I still have a couple of sets in my stash that I thought I would build, but that is another story all together.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

All opinions here are spot on. If you are a seasoned builder and have the desire, time, and resource then this set might be for you. If you might build it then maybe this set is not for you.

In any case, I have respect and admiration for all the great builders. I hope to get back there some day.

All the best, Steve